a bad feeling

"You're gonna have to leave soon," Yelena says softly, running her hand up and down the arm that Kate has draped around her stomach, "Tasha's supposed to be here in an hour."

"It's warm here, though," Kate responds sleepily, nuzzling her nose against the back of Yelena's head. She tightens the arm around Yelena's waist as to further her point and it almost makes Yelena take back her former statement.

"I have shit to do today, Kate Bishop," Yelena whines, yet making no effort to move.

Kate kisses the back of her head, "Just tell Nat you don't want to go. She probably has other shit to do anyway."

Yelena hums, unsure. She knows Natasha's taking her to the Avengers Tower to meet Bruce - the acclaimed MD that also turns into a crazy broccoli every once in a while (sometimes voluntarily?) and was a momentary romantic interest of Natasha's - and she'd love to make fun of her for that, but... bed. Kate Bishop. The dogs.

She didn't exactly expect to be back to morning cuddling with Kate this soon, but it's addicting and she doesn't want to move. Not to mention, Fanny's laid over her feet and keeping them warm and Lucky's somewhere next to Kate and it's just all so warm and cozy.

"I think it's snowing," Kate says after shifting behind Yelena, the warmth of her chest pressed against Yelena's back leaving, "maybe your appointment will get canceled."

"Doubt it," Yelena mutters, flopping onto her back and wincing at the way her knee is already aching. Natasha also told her to not take any blood-thinner type medicine (ex. Ibuprofen, because of fucking course the one thing alleviating her discomfort is on that list) because she might get her blood drawn. Gross.

Kate's sitting up now and when Yelena looks up at her, blue eyes meet hers, "are you gonna be okay at this appointment?"

"Probably," Yelena responds, smiling softly when Kate reaches down and runs a hand through her hair, "I'm the best for a reason."

"How could I forget?" Kate asks sarcastically, their sweet conversation interrupted when Lucky inches his way between them, obviously ready to start the day. Yelena swears she catches Kate mutter something along the lines of attention whore.

They get out of bed eventually, Kate going into the bathroom to get ready and leaving Yelena alone in the room.

She sits on the edge of the bed, legs dangling over the side, trying to come up with the will to start moving. Normally, it's easy, but today, she has this sense of dread set deep in her stomach. Granted, it's been around for a month now, but it's been especially unsettling today.

She's brought away from her circling thoughts by Fanny, who bats at the bed with her paw before resting her chin on Yelena's leg.

"You've been a real brat recently, you know that?" Yelena asks, gently scratching behind Fanny's ears, "Very demanding."

Fanny doesn't respond verbally (though sometimes Yelena wishes she would) and instead jumps back, hopping and making a noise that sounds like a gross between a scoff and a sneeze. It's almost like she's telling Yelena to get moving already.

Yelena can't help but think back to when Natasha found out about everything going on with her knee, how she gave Yelena a look that made her want to curl in on herself. She can still hear Natasha asking why she kept it all a secret. She just needs to keep the fact that it's getting worse from Natasha, knee pain for her is normal. She's fine.

Yelena stands, but immediately falls back on the bed when she feels searing pain in her leg. It was not this bad yesterday.

She bites down on her lip, hard, trying to avoid letting a sob come up and willing the pain away. What did she do to make it this bad? It hasn't hurt this much since she last broke it, and that was ten years ago.