How to Challenge an Alpha

BEEP BEEP.

Teru scrunched his face at hearing the annoying city noises. Once it was quiet again, he allowed sleep to transport him back to his dreams of the forest. Just when the vision of green leaves began to reappear in his head...

HONK HONK.

His heavy eyes fluttered open, groggily rolling over onto his back after breaking free from the swaddling blanket. Teru's body felt sluggish, but the familiar smells from his nest helped him come to. He extended his muscles into a satisfying stretch, shuddering the stiffness away. Next, he popped his neck and spine.

What a pleasant sleep. He wasn't sore at all, which was unusual after mating so intensely.

Kieran...

Teru gritted his teeth with cringe as he recalled almost every detail of how they'd spent their heat and rut together. Supposedly, it was rare for alpha-omega partners to have their cycles aligned, something that would occur once every year or even two years. Of course, Teru was oh-so-lucky enough for that to happen within months of being a prisoner.

Also, how did he manage to get to his nest? Or change into these clean pajamas? The last thing Teru remembered was lying on his bed, dirty and immobile, trying to fend off a feral Kieran. Teru rubbed his nape, which was clear of any bonding scars. That was disappointing—

Hold on. Did Teru almost admit his regret to not being marked?

Good to know that I'm secretly a whore that pants for the nearest alpha like a dog in heat, Teru ridiculed himself. His family would hate to see the innocent person he became when under the influence of his inner gender.

Scratch that, more like Teru was secretly a whore that pants for Kieran. Was there really a point in denying the attraction anymore? Where was that guy anyway?

Teru's core temperature increased. There was a very faint scent of spice.

No. Not again.

His heat should definitely be over. This wasn't normal. Why did he have to be like this?

Teru rolled into a ball and thought of everything else but Kieran, his rut, his seed.

Think of...Mom, hunting for food, the caves, the Valley Pack with betas and alphas—

Well, that did the trick. The idea of giving his heat to a different alpha caused Teru's stomach to flip. Repulsive. What if he dared to think of doing that stuff with Lucas? He formed a scenario in his head of them going further than just kissing. Lucas would strip off their shirts before taking Teru's nipple into his warm mouth...

...Teru stopped the scene when he almost threw up, covering his mouth with his pillow to prevent the stomach bile from rising further inside him. He put his head between his arms to make the queasiness go away. Any trace of spicy pheromones evaporated.

Breath in, breathe out.

A hand touched his back, making him jump from fright. "Are you alright?" a husky voice asked beside him.

Teru let Kieran's calming pheromones hug his body, soothing him instantly. Based on the scent, the rutting season was finished. Before looking at Kieran, Teru examined his nesting corner designated for his personal possessions—clothes, ring...something was missing. He moved the hand-stitched shirt aside, but the item wasn't there.

"Is this what you're looking for?" Kieran asked, dangling the toy his father had given him so many years prior in the air.

Teru snatched it away and stared at the stuffed wolf in his hands. There wasn't an ounce of matted dirt. Its fur was now soft, fluffy, and lighter in color. Although the yellow eyes were still scratched from years of being heavily loved, the plastic was transparent enough to see the painted details underneath. Was this even the same toy? It had to be since it smelled like home.