Dominant

There were too many things happening at once—the spectators watching the drama, the threat of a looming alpha fight, the scent of fury and rut pheromones coating the air...

And what was it that Lucas had just said? Pride? Deadly Sins? Prince?

Wasn't that just a fairytale?

Was Teru's owner part of the royal family that destroyed humanity? The reason he had to hide in caves and constantly live in fear? Everything made sense. The only thing keeping Teru from fully believing it was the lack of symbols. In the stories, the sins were born with a tattoo to signify their identity. And if he remembered correctly, Pride's mark was a lion. Kieran had nothing like that on his body.

But his scarred nape...that brief story he told me about a vampire hunter capturing him...

The dots were connecting.

Lucas was injured. Landing on his arms had scraped off the skin's top layer. The blood dripping from his wounds garnered more vampires' attention. When Lucas stood back up, he glowered at Kieran straight in the eyes and snarled, "He's mine!"

That was a huge mistake. Kieran ran towards his opponent.

SNIFFLE.

The raging dominant alpha stopped mid-step at the sound just before swiping his razor-sharp nails at the challenger, craning his head to the side to listen to it again. Lucas had already braced himself to fight, even if it meant he'd die just to mate with the last omega.

SNIFFLE.

Teru sobbed and wiped his eyes with his shirt. This was stressing him beyond imaginable. He knew his body would drop if he witnessed them brutally fight until one was dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teru's packmate, Lucas, had openly crossed boundaries. That boy knew what he was doing by challenging him, rut or no rut.

The excitement of it had caused Kieran to become consumed by the infamous alphic fury—it was raw and wild, something that wasn't so common now compared to a thousand years ago. They weren't so barbaric. But since it was occurring right here, right now, his sin couldn't wait to drown in their blood to prove his strength to the watching omega. He'd like that, right? The submissive only wanted the winner.

The stupid human was prepared to clash. Both of their inner alphas wanted a go at each other.

SNIFFLE.

That tiny cry broke the illusion.

SNIFFLE.

This Lucas kid didn't notice the silent weeping.

Kieran did.

Was...was he about to kill Teru's childhood friend? In front of him? Was he insane?

Kieran forced himself to break contact with Lucas. He retreated to Teru, who was crying into his sweater's sleeves. Turning down a challenge was physically painful for his inner Pride—it felt like his insides were about to split apart from not getting what it wanted, which was to murder that cheeky alpha in broad daylight.

Both of his personalities, the alpha and Pride, were screaming at him, What are you doing? Fight him! Win! Don't show your weakness in front of the omega! You'll lose face! Your reputation!

In the past, the prideful prince would never have raised the white flag.

But Teru didn't need that sort of violence right now. He required someone to comfort him—he needed Kieran.

Kieran rested one knee on the ground so he could be under Teru's eye level. He didn't uncover his distressed face.

"Don't cry."