Trauma

Teru sat on the exam table with crinkly paper while Dr. Charles was on his wheeled chair in front of him, meticulously threading the wound on his inner arm. It was ironic how a thin needle injured him enough that it required three stitches, but a large explosion that practically destroyed an entire floor wasn't.

The vampire listened carefully to Teru's story as he inspected his condition – from being able to go against Blaise's pheromones, getting stuck under the debris, the king finding him as he was entering hibernation, and waking up to sickening conversations about green collars and using his body for who knows what. Teru left the part out about the mysterious woman who had helped him; he didn't know if she was a figment of his imagination or if it actually happened.

"And then you found me," he finished his tale.

Dr. Charles's eyes looked tired as dabbed the sutures with an alcoholic wipe. "You...are incredibly lucky. Both of you sure like to put me through the ringer. It's been more hectic than usual since that day," he mumbled. "Don't get your stitches wet for 24 hours. Wash it twice daily with water."

He got up and told him, "Don't move from that spot. I mean it. I'll be back in three minutes."

Teru did just that, not even considering the notion of leaving this room. It was too scary out there. He wondered if that doctor or the king noticed he was missing.

Just as promised, Charles returned after three minutes on the dot. He was holding a pile of folded clothes – a white t-shirt, a long navy-blue coat, black jeans, and indoor slippers. From where he sat, Teru could tell these had belonged to an alpha. His nose scrunched up.

"This is to hide your scent. Security is on the lookout for a missing omega."

Already? That was faster than he had anticipated. Teru kept thinking to himself, Ew, ew, ew, as he changed out of the hospital gown into the reeking clothes, being careful not to snag his stitches on the sleeves.

"Oh, right," Dr. Charles snapped his fingers when he remembered something. Like before when finding the collar, he dug through the mountains of messy paperwork and folders, not caring that half of it tumbled to the floor below. He saw Teru staring at his odd behavior and clarified, "As I said, Pride created a hell of a mess this week and the other sins have been paying the price for failing to control him–ah, found it. By the way, I wasn't aware Kieran let you keep something made of pure silver."

He held out a small wolf plush and his silver crane ring hanging on a chain to him. Teru immediately grabbed both items and asked, "Why do you have these? Where's Kieran?"

This was getting weird. He hurriedly put the toy in his coat pocket and the ring around his neck, tucking it safely under his shirt. He felt better now that he had it, like a security blanket.

The doctor leaned his hips against his desk with crossed arms. "Long story short, Lust and I were no match against Pride, probably because he became stronger after drinking your blood. He ended up destroying seven more floors and killed twelve vampires in the process, including a councilman. That person was important, someone who makes decisions about Avania's policies and other matters. Envy and King Abaddon suddenly came to help but by that time, Pride was already weak from getting sick again. It was easier to take him down once it was four against one."

Teru's stomach dropped upon hearing Kieran had reacted negatively to his blood. "So, my blood doesn't work after all..."

"Oh no, it does. Trust me. Kieran had a much better reaction to yours than anyone else's. Just let him keep trying until he gets used to the feeling of being full again. Given the extreme response, it's exactly what he needs to return to his former glory. There's something about your blood, I suppose."