Honey

He's met all sorts of interesting people today.

A creepy beta doctor who wanted to pair him with alphas.

The mysterious female vampire with every scent under the sun.

And now the king, Kieran's stepfather, who didn't have any scent at all. That was why Teru felt weirded out by his presence. All alphas and omegas had a scent produced by the gland in their neck. It could be something pleasant such as a rose, nostalgic like a childhood candy, or horrid pickled vegetables. Whether or not you liked it, that scent would forever be your signature aroma. Even betas had a whiff of something, usually just plain human odor.

And the king was a dominant alpha. Their scents were more potent than the average alphas. Given Teru's sensitive sense of smell, he should be able to smell him from a mile away.

Instead, Abaddon had nothing. Nothing at all.

And...what were they doing here?

They were sitting at a two-seated table at a restaurant somewhere in the building. It was next to the window, giving them a breathtaking view of the city. The early morning sun had risen, so the sky was a brilliant shade of orange and yellow with hot pink clouds dotting the horizon.

It was an intimate setting. Crab legs and other expensive foods were laid out on the table. Teru didn't know how to open the aquatic appendages, leaving those untouched. The server, a beta human wearing a yellow collar, was nervous each time he brought out items, shaking like a leaf whenever he asked how the food was. Quite frankly, Teru was jumpy as hell, too. He could tell his own muscles would be sore tomorrow from tensing up so much.

This was his first time eating outside of the penthouse. He wished it was Kieran sitting across from him instead of the king, who hadn't said a word to him since leaving the hospital floor.

Their waiter returned with a vintage bottle of red wine and tried to pour a glass. Since he was trembling so badly, the wine spilled onto the white linen cloth. He hyperventilated.

Abaddon took away the bottle and scoffed with a venomous tone, "Manager. Now."

But the poor man didn't have to get the manager. She, a beta vampire, was there in an instant. "Your Majesty."

"Red collar."

"S-sir?"

The king didn't want to ask twice. She sped away and came back with what he had demanded.

"Take off his yellow one," he told her. The vampire hastily unlocked it with a tiny key until his throat was bare.

"Put on the red collar." She did.

"Congratulations," Abaddon waved off the now ex-employee. "You're now a blood slave. Go find a new owner on the streets." He snapped his fingers. The waiting guards dragged him away, crying for forgiveness and how he wouldn't make the same mistake again. His begging words were ignored by everyone.

Teru's eyes were wide open. His heart raced. It was a genuine slipup. If that called for demoting his status from servant to blood slave, he didn't want to imagine what would happen to him if he did worse than spill alcohol.

Abaddon poured the dark red liquid into a crystal glass and set it in front of Teru. "Go ahead. It's 1985 Salon Cuvee S, from my personal stock."

And he was supposed to know what that meant? He held the glass to his mouth. The king watched as his lips pressed on the glass, taking a small sip...

...and coughed, feeling the wine go into his nose. His face scrunched up from the burning sensation in his esophagus.

The king laughed. "Have you never tried alcohol before?"