The Third Theory

Teru sat on the table with crinkling paper, looking around. The office was tidy again compared to previously when it was a wreck after Pride's destructive outburst; when he learned of Kieran's PTSD. Dr. Charles was using his cellphone after someone messaged him multiple times. Seriously, Kieran should get one.

"It looks like the challenge is over." He gave the phone to Teru. A video was playing.

Both alphas were drenched in blood. It could've been David's, theirs, or both. Tristan was the most injured, not able to move quickly enough to avoid Kieran's pounce on him from behind. They tumbled to the floor under the older brother's weight. He snarled and bit Tristan's scent gland, injecting mint pheromones into him. It was the ultimate shameful act for an alpha to inflict on another during a challenge, just like what Lucas did.

Tristan howled in pain, eyes full of desperation to escape the hold. Then, he stopped moving. Kieran stood up, limping slightly. He placed a foot on Tristan's cheek.

"Who is the winner?"

"...You are."

"Who is the number one sin?"

"..."

He pressed harder into Tristan's face until there was a crunch and bellowed, "Who is number one?!"

"You are!"

Kieran took his foot off and leaned down, grabbing a handful of his blackish hair. "Don't ever touch him again." He released him, letting Tristan's face drop on the hard, red-covered ground.

The video ended. Underneath it was a number.

300,000 views? Are people watching this? How badly is he hurt? There's so much blood!

"Greed was secretly recording and uploaded it to her social media five minutes ago. Pride's public image will improve since he won against Envy. So anyway, let's talk about your heat. You experienced your first one recently, yet you have pre-heat signs already. Have you nested?"

"Yes."

"Did you want to rip Kieran's head off?" he asked, amused.

Teru laughed. "Totally."

"Good. He deserves it. Did he at least provide adequate nesting items?"

"I'm happy with it. I think I prefer whatever we have lying around rather than new things. Oh, and he gave me this for my nest." Teru lifted his sleeve to show him the vintage watch.

Dr. Charles gasped. "The Rolex? Amazing. He never says it, but he feels guilty for not protecting his soldiers who died under his command, hence why I've never seen him without it. For him to gift the reminder of his failures to you is a milestone for Pride." The conversation died, sitting in silence.

"Teru, there's a reason I'm asking these questions. An omega should have three, maybe four, cycles per year. A cycle is predictable, like the moon's phases. The window can be easily calculated through an app or traditionally by calendar. But sometimes, as you know, cycles can be unpredictable. Did Kieran ever explain to you my theories?

Gosh, how long ago was that discussion? "Um, I think it's because of poor health or stress."

"Those two are the most probable ones. Your condition has improved since your physical inspection, so let's scratch out health. Stress is likely. You experience traumatic ordeals every week. Heavens, you were almost killed and then witnessed the miracle of life in less than a few hours. I think you're stronger than you give yourself credit for."