White Collar

Lilith stood in the forest, staring into the overgrown brush and tall trees. Though there wasn't a physical border to signify the start of a new territory, she knew a millimeter ahead was her former home. It was more unkempt than she remembered it being, but that was to be expected. She hadn't been here since her banishment. Centuries of climate change and lack of maintenance made it into its current condition.

Eden.

She wasn't sure if the journey here would be worth it. Traveling freely wasn't easy anymore, especially in the mountainous center of Iraq, or whatever this country was renamed to. Lilith had never attempted to re-enter the Garden. Would it reject her? Perhaps a bolt of lightning would strike her dead, cooking her from the inside out? That would be a pain to heal from.

She gingerly took a step forward. Her bare foot dug into the fresh soil that vastly differed from the hardened dirt behind her. Nothing happened. There were no earthquakes or immediate stormy weather like she thought would conjure when the heavens weren't happy. Lilith was bittersweet. Even the angels had given up on this place long ago, not caring about her reappearance in the holy site.

Lilith gracefully walked further into Eden. The thick branches guarding the weedy path seemed to sway aside to not tangle her long hair. Birds chirped above when it was previously quiet the entire hike here. The leaves were greener and the wind whispered the sweet sounds of nature in her ears.

The Garden remembers me.

Further and further she trod through the valley until reaching the river. The plants and animals had changed, but the land's features did not. Lilith eyed the grooves of the surrounding hills. It brought back long-forgotten memories. She and Adam slept in this exact spot often.

Finally arriving at her destination, Lilith sat on a fallen log covered in moss beside the flowing water. Dandelions sprouted around her feet, welcoming the woman for whom this paradise was originally created for. Well, now that she was here, what should she do next? Clear cut the trees down until the land was barren? Poison the streams? Set it ablaze? Years had passed, but deep resentment over the way she was cast out resurfaced. They placed a curse on her, but not her lover and Eve when they broke the rules? Life was cruel.

Lilith wouldn't cry at her misery, above those useless feelings. She promised not to love anyone ever again, including her children. Betrayal by the ones who you trusted most cut deeper than anyone realized.

A luna moth landed beside Lilith on the dead tree. The sheer, lime green wings expanded to the size of her hand. Its fuzzy white head moved from side to side as if curious about her. Though this species of moth used to live in Eden when it was just Lilith and her former partner, it only existed now in the southern part of Avania. It should be impossible for it to be on this continent.

Coincidentally, luna moths were Adam's favorite creature. Seeing it was triggering.

"You know," Lilith talked aloud, pretending the moth was the spirit of Adam, "many vampires have a secret hideout, a place to go to compose our inner, bloodthirsty monster. It's funny. When I was deciding where my hideout should be, I knew Eden was my choice. I never needed to go into hiding. I survived countless persecutions, mobs chasing me, witnessing the destruction of war, and giving birth, but never had I once needed time to rejuvenate my health. And do you know what's funnier?"

The moth fluttered its thin wings. It flitted over her bare thigh, exposed through the slit in her chiffon dress. Adam wasn't here, but talking to an out-of-place insect awkwardly helped.

"A descendant of your gender appeared out of the blue. He's a dominant omega like you. Your lineage really got around, didn't it?" She laughed. "He's pregnant. I wonder if they know about it yet. I've been around long enough to pinpoint the signs in his scent. I sensed as soon as I saw him that his soul was pure. The best angels certainly blessed him themselves. It's no surprise that little omega is a virtue. A true miracle in the flesh."