Chapter 14

Alexander Romano

Scrolling to the next page, I scanned through the autopsy report which was conducted for my mum. She passed away on the spot as she was still trapped in the car and her body was badly burnt in the explosion and she was barely recognisable from the pictures. I clicked on the close button and closed the tab. 

My thoughts went back to yesterday's incident. Which insolent fucker dared to threaten a Romano? I made a promise to myself to find that son of bitch and skin them alive. 

Avery Romano

Today was the first day of school for Bea. Alexander had enrolled her into the same school as me but I was not sure if she would be placed into the same class as me. I knocked lightly on Bea's door and entered when I heard no response after a minute. 

She was still asleep, with her mouth wide opened. I chuckled at the sight of her as I pulled away the blanket which she was snuggling into. 

"You're gonna be late for school, Bea." She opened one side of her eye, then something seemed to click in her head that she immediately bolted up in her bed. She then rushed to the bathroom for a quick wash up then got dressed in the clothes that we had picked out last night and we headed downstairs right after she was done. 

Missus Dai had already prepared our breakfast and we quickly ate before heading to school. Mason came down the stairs with his backpack strapped onto his shoulders. I forgot that they were staying here. 

Mason offered to drive us to school in which we got into his car and set off for school. I accompanied Bea to get her class schedule and unfortunately, we were not in the same class. Both Mason and I sent her off to her class before heading to ours. 

"Did you sleep last night?" Mason's sudden question caught me off guard as we were strolling down the corridor, heading for our Biology class. I side glanced at him and quickly nodded. He did not say anything and merely nodded at my response. I hope he didn't hear my sobbing last night when I got awaken by nightmare.

Stepping into the class, I realised Vincenzo was already sitting there. He's always early for class. Before I sat down, he stretched out his hand to me to which I raised my eyebrow at his actions. I stretched out mine too, and he passed me a bunch of sweets that he offered last time. I smiled at his actions. I mouthed a silent 'thank you' before I took my seat. 

Mason saw it and took one from me which had earned him a glare and a punch from Vincenzo. He claimed that it was only for me and he was not allowed to steal any of them. Both of them can be so childish at times. I shook my head amusedly at their never-ending bickering.

I was walking home alone after school as Mason had training, Vincenzo had to pick up Andrea, while Bea had went out for lunch with a new friend that she had met today. Upon arriving home, I heard faint yelling coming from Alexander's office once again. I headed towards his office and heard:

"You can't do that! What if we lose Ari again? I know that you want to catch the culprit but we can't risk Ari!" That sounded like Elijah.

"Then tell me a better way to get that fucker out!" Alexander growled out loud. 

Pushing open the door slightly, I realised that it was not just the both of them. Mateo, Gabriel and Lucas were there as well. All of their eyes were on me as I stepped into the office. Alexander's eyes hardened the moment he saw me entering. His jaw clenched hard as he asked in a dangerously low voice,"How much did you hear?"

Replying in the same tone,"Everything. Don't worry, Bea doesn't know anything." I added the last part and they clearly heaved out a sigh of relief. Lifting my head to meet his gaze, I continued,"Take Bea away, if what you want is to lure the culprit out, I can help. But you have to make sure that she is safe." My voice held no room for jokes when it involves Bea. 

Elijah's eyes met mine and widened slightly,"What do you mean you can help?" 

"If what the person wants is to take Bea away, I can pretend to be her. I will stay here and lure them out, you guys will take her away from here and make sure that she's safe." I stated. 

No one said anything but Alexander spoke up,"No." My eyes narrowed and looked at him.

"No? Then tell me that you have a better idea since you've rejected mine." I challenged him.

"No means no, this is final." He turned his back on me. I left my clenched fist by my side. I could really punch him if he continues to challenge my patience.

"I killed dad. I was the one who shot him that night. Don't you hate me? For ruining....our family? Now's my chance....for redemption, so shouldn't you be more than willing to let me do it?" I moved closer, trying my best to insinuate him and get him to agree. 

Both his fist and jaw clenched hard at first, but then loosened after a while. Turning around to face me, his eyes held nothing but loathe and hatred. This was sufficient for me to understand everything. He still hates me. The mention of it was enough to make him hate me again. I should be happy that he still hates me, isn't it? So that I will be able to let go without thinking further. 

"You will stay here in place of Ari." That was his response. That was it. I smiled faintly at his answer and replied softly,"Thank you." With that, I turned around and let his office. 

While heading back to my room, I felt a pull on my arm and I was spun around to face an angry Mateo. His chest rose up and down in a fast rhythm, with his nostrils flaring slightly to show his anger. I merely stared at him with no emotions in me. 

"Why did you do that, Avery?" He questioned, calling my name for the first time in forever. 

"Would you rather that it was Bea instead?" I counterattacked.

"You don't know how dangerous this can get!" He yelled, tightening his grip on my wrist. 

"And that's why I'm glad that I'm the one who's in this, Mateo." I calmly whispered, trying my best to control the ferocious thumping of my heart. I cannot break down here.

He looked at me with an unknown expression etched within his eyes, as if trying to get an answer. I snatched my wrist away from his tight grip and walked away, closing the door behind me and finally broke down. 

It's ending soon, Avery. Just bear with it a little while more. 

double update! received many lovely messages from readers and got really motivated!! thank you for the constant support and motivating words! I will try my very best and deliver better stories <3

Happy reading! -5/9/2022