The Variable

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.

------------------------------

Seeing Yami smile like that looking into a wall Kakashi asked "What happened?"

Yami shook his head and said "Nothing...just remembered something funny. Is the seal done?"

Kakashi nodded and said "Yes it is done. I am surprised that you didn't pass out from the pain and exhaustion. The next rounds of exams will start soon."

"The 3rd tests?" Yami inquired.

"No...this time the number of students who passed the 2nd test is way more than we anticipated. There might be an elimination round in the middle now just to cut the numbers in half." Kakashi said while taking care of the injury on his hand.

Yami also stood up and put on his kimono back and then along with Kakashi headed back to the tower. All the participants were supposed to gather there when the exam finishes.

As they reached the tower, they saw that all the Konoha genin groups were already gathered. Seeing Kakashi enter Asuma who had a cigarette in his mouth puffed out some smoke and asked "Where were you Kakashi? I was just going to send someone to find you." he then saw Yami walk behind Yami as well and said "Oh Yami...it has been a while kid since we met."

Yami didn't say anything and just nodded. "He hasn't changed a bit, has he?" Asuma muttered as he saw that Yami was still a man of few words or sometimes no words.

Kurenai giggled as she saw this scene unfold "What did you expect Asuma? You guys have only met once before this. He isn't going to be all chitty chatty with you just because you gave him a technique."

As Yami reached his group Guy asked "Yami where were you? Your brother said you left before him so he doesn't know your whereabouts."

"I was hungry so I went to the market to eat some Dango and even met Mr. Kakashi on the way while coming here." Yami said. Neji and Lee were looking at him because they wanted to know where he was. According to Yami's plan, while escaping the forest of death, he didn't say if he would even be meeting them. Neji found that odd but decided to ignore it.

'He didn't see me since the forest of death so it's obvious that he wouldn't know my whereabouts. But the thing I don't understand is why the test ended so early. Wasn't it supposed to be one more day?' Yami thought.

Yami then heard heavy footsteps come from behind him and stop a few meters away from their group. As he turned around he saw a buff guy with a monkey cap on his head and a long black jacket on his body. The guy had two long slash injuries on his face.

"Senior Ibiki what brings you here?" Asuma immediately greeted the Captain of the Torture and interrogation unit. Even though Asuma was the son of the Hokage and the rest of them were jonins, they still held immense respect for the higher-ups including Ibiki.

With the grim expression that he always had on his face, Ibiki said "Some unexpected things happened in the forest of death."

Kakashi and Yami thought that he was speaking about the presence of Orochimaru but the next sentence he said put them into thought as well.

"Many genin groups were found dead in the forest and their scrolls weren't even collected. They all died pretty gruesome deaths and some were even half-eaten. It felt as if it was an animal's doing. We even found claw marks on some bodies but I don't remember our lands having an animal of that size and ferocity."

"Is that why the 2nd exam ended so early?" Kurenai asked. Ibiki looked at her and nodded "yes...many groups got a free scroll and seeing the horrible scene of the dismembered genins, they didn't linger around to target other groups and ran toward the tower immediately."

"Couldn't it be some animal from the depths of the forest?" Asuma asked. He knew that the village hadn't bothered exploring the entirety of the forest of death so it was possible for some animal to come out of it.

Ibiki shook his head and said "The place where this happened is near the village's barrier and far away from the forest's depths. The barrier also looks damaged so it is safe to say that whichever animal it was coming from outside the village left the village after eating a few genins.

Kakashi interjected quickly as he heard this. As an ex-anbu operative, he knew how important the village barrier is and how strong it is. "Senior Ibiki it is hard to believe that an animal can cause harm to our barriers. Even a Kage level shinobi may have trouble doing it."

Ibiki clenched his fists as he said "That is what made me come here. An animal capable of tearing apart our barrier left the village after some time without raising a single alarm. This is the first time any of us have heard about it. Among the genins who came to the scene first, none are from our village so we can't even interrogate them. This animal is most likely a summoning beast of some sort. Anything else doesn't make any sense."

'What is happening? This is no small change. Was it really an animal or someone's summoning beast?' Yami thought.

Kurenai was about to ask something but then an announcement rang from behind the group

"Everyone please listen, due to the number of participants passing the 2nd test being so much more than we expected, a one-on-one fighting match with being organized in tower no 3. I request all the participants to go and assemble in the next tower while their jonin instructors can gather in the spectator area." the jonin announced.

"All the best to you and your squads." Ibiki said as he glanced at Asuma, the other jonins, and their genin squads. Asuma along with the other jonins bowed a little to show their respect.

-----------------------------------

To read 10 extra chapters go to my Patreón

https://patreon.com/lazarus898/

Link in the synopsis as well.

I am writing a novel called 'Soul Spirit Ascension' on webnovel. Give it a read and let me know how you like it.