Chapter 39: The Ball of Twine

"This actually isn't so terrible," Five said as Klaus drove down the road.

We just stopped at a mall and Klaus helped me pick out some clothes since, I was only limited to what Chet had for me at the hotel. Now, I actually have clothes that I like and feel comfortable in.

"See? Told you," Klaus smiled.

"Come to think of it, my whole life, I've been under the gun. Missions for dad, working for the commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop," Five said, "It's nice to just... breathe."

"Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you," Klaus smiled.

Five smiled turned to look at me, "Plus, I have time to be with you."

"Awe," Klaus fake cried, "You two are the cutest."

"Oh! Um all right!" Five said as he pulled his map out of the glovebox, "So, I've circled all the roadside attractions on the way."

"Oh... I'm not sure we're gonna have time..." Klaus said.

Five ignored him and carried on, "We have the Brownsville big nickel. Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award winning pies."

"Pies? I'm in," I smiled as I looked at the map.

Klaus sighed, "Well, if you would just let me explain..."

"Or there's this cow henge," Five smiled, "That's it— Don't—"

"Listen to me," Klaus said, "Just shut up for two seconds. Okay? Just two seconds? All right?"

Five groaned as he folded the map back up, "Okay, I'm all ears."

"We are going to Pennsylvania to find..." He paused for dramatic effect, "... my birth mother. Yay!"

"Excuse me?" Five asked him.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I just needed somebody to come with me for emotional support," Klaus said.

"Oh, emotional support, like a schnauzer?" Five scolded him.

"Yeah, and I knew you wouldn't come if I told you, so what was I supposed to do?"

"You're goddamn right I would't have come, Klaus. You know why?" Five asked, "because I am supposed to be retired!"

"I know!" Klaus said.

"This was supposed to be a care-free road trip," Five complained.

"Well, it still can be, babe," Klaus said, "Plus Y/N's with us. It's gonna be great."

"I'm with Klaus on this one, Five. This could be good for us," I smiled as I took his hand.

He glanced over at me and smiled before turning to look back out the window. He gasped and sat up, "ball of twine? Klaus turn! Ball of Twine! Turn!"

He reached over me and grabbed the steering wheel.

"Five!" I yelled as the car started to jerk.

"Five! Five!" Klaus yelled.

"We're gonna die," I mumbled as cars honked at us.

"It's one of the best ones come on!" Five yelled

"Five, we're gonna die!" Klaus yelled.

"I don't care! Let go!" Five yelled as he turned the car down the road the ball of twine is on, "You know what? No twine, no birth mother!"

I leaned against the car and let out a sigh of relief, "Oh, my God. We're alive."