iv.

( chapter ) four

( chapter )
four

JULIET DAWSON HAD NEVER BEEN the best student, even before she came to Hogwarts she clearly excelled in the few subjects that didn't involve sitting in a class room or reading and writing for hours on end. This didn't mean that she didn't try in those lessons where she was in a classroom, as she did, she just didn't really care about them and wouldn't put in as much effort as she perhaps should have.

Her mum had received several letters home about her behaviour in school, but seeing as he grades were usually above average, Marie didn't really see a problem. As she always said, 'What is school without a little bit of mischief?' However, upon receiving Juliet's O.W.L. results in the middle of the summer, both mother and daughter came to the agreement that Juliet had to try harder in school — by this, they had had an hour long shouting match which resulted in Juliet being grounded for the rest of the summer and having to do school work to catch up and she just had to grin and bare it if she wanted to be ungrounded by Christmas.

Juliet wasn't a bad student by any means — she handed all of her work in (albeit maybe as few days later than she should), she paid attention in class (when she wasn't sat near any of her friends), she followed the instructions and tasks that teachers had set (only after being told several times) and she engaged in several different extracurricular activities outside of class (when her detentions didn't get in the way.)

"While I gather your homework, I would you all to read the extract that has been placed on your desk." Professor Slughorn spoke from  the front of his classroom. "And then make the correct  corrections to the Draught of Living Death instructions— there should be enough for one each!" He quickly added as James and Sirius both tried to snatch the same piece of parchment in which the instructions were written.

It was the last week in September, the days were quickly becoming shorter and the warm weather was dropping temperature with each passing day. The leaves on the trees were slowly beginning to turn different hues of brown, orange and yellow and a light fog blocked the mountains around the Castle from view. There were still lovely, warm days mixed in with those colder days when the sky was clouded with grey clouds and the sun hidden from view.

Students had all settled back into school life quickly and it wasn't long before it was like they had never left for the summer at all. Juliet would never admit it, but the work her mum had made her do over the summer had made the transition back into school so much easier.

Juliet gulped slightly as Slughorn began to make his way around the dungeons, having small chats with students as he gathered their homework and answering the questions of those who raised their hands.

"Lily, my wonderful red-headed friend, the most beautiful girl in the entire world—"

"No." Lily didn't even look up from her work as she answered the girl sitting opposite her.