Oneshot #3

Summer had just loomed over Robot City, leaving behind the worries of cold winter nights and constant rainfalls. Unfortunately, it also meant facing a new challenge.

The heat.

Even though people were excited about the summer days and longer hours, they knew they had to prepare for the hottest days. Some had air conditioners and fans, others had planned on going to pool parties or beaches.

However, one group had neither of those things.

"AHHH! I can't take this heat anymore!" Ratchet yelled in annoyance. His undershirt was drenched with sweat from the hot weather outside.

"I opened every window in the house, and it's not getting better," Aunt Fanny stated as she fanned herself with her dress. "I hope the repair man comes in to fix the AC soon."

"We don't have soon! I'm already dying over here!" Crank complained. At the living room table, Diesel wheezed as he leaned against Lugnut to keep himself from falling over.

"Where's Alli and Rodney? And I don't see Blue anywhere, either," Fender asked, shirtless but only wearing his shorts.

"Rodney's helping Alli find some fans from her apartment," Aunt Fanny explained. "And Blue said she's retrieving some things from the store, and Piper just came along with her. She just wouldn't say what she's getting."

"She didn't say? I wonder why," Fender added.

"Well, it better be ice or water. Maybe both. Anything to get our minds off this heat," Ratchet piped in as he wiped some sweat from his face.

At that moment, Rodney, now wearing a tank top and cargo shorts, and Alli, dressed in a thin-strap top and short shorts, walked in with the fans that she had promised she'd bring. "Guys! We got them!" Rodney called in triumph.

The second he shouted their soon-to-be miracle, the Rusties and Ratchet all sighed with relief.

"Oh, thank God!"

"We've been waiting for, like, forever!"

"Please tell me the fans are big and strong!"

"Sorry we took so long. I had to open the windows to get some in," Alli said as she set a fan next to the couch. "Any word from Blue or Piper yet?"

"Nope, not yet," Lugnut answered tiredly. "Though I do hope they're okay."

As if on cue, Alli's phone dinged. She took it out from her pocket, and her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What? Makes no sense."

"What is it?"

"Blue texted me that she got the items she's looking for, but then she's told us to put on swimsuits or anything else if we don't have any. And she's telling us to head down to the backside of the City," Alli replied to her bluenette boyfriend.

"The backside? Isn't it, like, just an empty area? Where there are no houses, no stores? Nothing nearby?" Crank asked incredulously.

"Something like that. Bigweld told me nobody's ever used it a lot," Rodney added with a shrug.

"So, what? Are we gonna do it, or...?" Ratchet drawled in the end.

"Well, considering that Blue and Piper are already telling us to meet them there, and the heat's getting bad..." Alli started before she glanced at Rodney.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some time later, the Rusties, Ratchet, Cappy, and Alli soon found themselves in the backside of the City. Aunt Fanny wanted to stay behind at the house to make sure the repairman comes, but since they won't be coming by until tomorrow, she decided to come along. As Blue and Piper had specifically requested, they had either brought swimwear or just tank tops and shirts to wear, towels to dry off, and snacks and drinks so that they don't get dehydrated or hungry for the time being.

"Where are they? They said they'd be here in time," Alli pondered aloud.

Crank saw someone coming from the shadows and was astonished to find who it was...or, more like, who it were. "Wait?! Bigweld?! Jade?! What are you guys doing here?!"

"Same thing you guys are," Jade answered, her hands on her hips. "Your two friends said we had to come here as well. But I don't see them anywhere. What about you guys?"

"That's what we're wondering, too," Lugnut answered.

"Calm down, people. I'm sure they're on their way. Maybe they just need to pick up a few more things," Bigweld said.

Rodney found a duffel bag laying on the ground a few inches from him. With curiosity, he opened it to find a pile of water balloons filled to the top. "Well, there's this bag of water balloons, but no sign of Blue or Piper anywhere."

"Well, in that case, I say it's a total bust," Ratchet remarked. "Let's just head back before this heat kills me."

A water balloon hit him straight on the back of his head, sending a yelp from him. He spun around, his silver hair now wet from the sudden attack, to find his unexpected ambushers.

"Oh, heh, sorry, Ratchet. I was trying to hit Rodney," Blue, dressed in a two-piece blue bikini, giggled innocently as she and Piper, donned in a one-piece yellow swimsuit, held a couple of water balloons. The rest laid in Blue's duffel bag.

A water balloon splashed her in the face, her yelp muffled by the water. Her hair was sticking to her face from the nice water.

Rodney laughed mischievously as he gripped a water balloon. "Like that?"

At that moment, the Rusties and others understood.

"Yes! Robot City balloon fight!" Fender shouted excitedly.

And just like that, the fight was on.

With the girls on one side and the guys on the other, they sometimes hid behind buildings, boxes, or dumpsters before they threw their water balloons at their opponents.

"Alright, alright, guys, c'mon, I–" At one point, Ratchet tried to talk his way out of it, only to be met with a water balloon thrown by Cappy. "Oh! Oh, that's it! Now it's on!"

Laughter, balloons thrown here and there, shrieking, and water splashing their bodies or the ground broke apart the silence in the backside. For once, the thought of the heat had disappeared and shifted to the fun moments of the water fight.

While Rodney and Alli banded together at one point, Cappy was annihilating Ratchet with as many water balloons as she could throw at him. To be fair, this is what he got for being a dick before his redemption. Blue and Piper had already ganged up Fender and Crank as payback for–in their own words–raiding their rooms for their chocolate bars. Bigweld, Aunt Fanny, and Jade were already having the time of their lives, but Jade had conquered the battlefield with her fierceness.

In three hours, the Rusties and everyone else were soon soaked, their shirts and swim clothes clinging to their bodies, nevertheless, their peals of laughter and relief still lingered in the air. By then, the sun had set down, so they had to get back home and dry off.

"Copperbottom?"

"Yeah?" Rodney turned to Ratchet.

"Sorry I doubted your blue friend. Sounds like she really came through."

"Don't apologize to me. She knew what she needed to do."

"Yeah, well, she still needs to warn me before she does something."

"No promises!" Blue called over her shoulder with a grin.

The heat may come back tomorrow, but Rodney knew she'll be ready again.