CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18

Sarah inhaled deeply. She hesitated at the door. Chris stood behind her patiently. She needed time to ready herself. She was about to see the evidence that her carefully organized life had been infiltrated once again.

"Sarah, you don't have to do this right now," Chris said after a while when she made to attempt to open the door.

"I know. But putting it off won't make it go away."

Sarah whirled around when Chris grabbed her hand. This was the second time when he held her hand in less than half an hour.

Were they moving fast?

Sarah looked into his eyes. His eyes usually had mischievous glint but now they shone with sincerity and concern for her. She was touched. To show how grateful she was, she squeezed his hand. A sweet and sincere smile broke on his face. He squeezed her hand back.

"Thank you," she said, her voice thick with emotions. Her feelings for acting funny. She wanted to cry. She wanted to hug him and stay in this moment forever. She couldn't believe that the stranger she had met some months ago was being her support without even knowing the truth whereas her own family... She stopped herself from going down that rabbit hole.

"You're welcome."

"I'm ready." She nodded to reaffirm herself.

Sighing deeply, Sarah turned the door knob with her free hand. Chris still held her other hand.

She stepped inside. Her gaze landed on the fallen objects on the floor. The flowers taunted her. The chocolates twisted her insides. She recoiled. It was difficult not to.

She walked swiftly to her kitchen. She opened the drawer where she had kept the other chocolate box. She took it out and dropped on the counter as if it had burned her skin. She then walked to her room. Chris remained in the kitchen.

In her room, Sarah grabbed her clothes. She wanted to have a shower but staying in this apartment was a terrifying notion.

As she was about to exit her room, her eyes caught the sight of the flowers that had been delivered the other day. She shuddered. How foolish was of her to assume that Chris had sent those. And like a sappy little girl she put in the vase in her room. Only if had she known. She chided herself.

Anger surged though her veins. She wanted to destroy these flowers. She grabbed them with force and tightened the grip on the stems as if she was squeezing the life out of someone.

She wanted to squeeze the life out of certain someone. She was feeling murderous. All the overwhelming emotions wanted to be freed. She wanted to ruin one person's life.

She wasn't like this. He was messing with her brain. She was feeling this way because she was alone in this room. She needed to get out of here.

Sarah marched out with clothes in one hand, and the flowers in the other. Chris was in the living room. Her steps slowed down. A frown appeared on her face.

Chris had a trash bag in his hand. His eyes traveled down her hands, on the roses. He scowled at the offending pink roses.

"Want to put them in the trash bag?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied without hesitation. As much force as could muster, Sarah threw the flowers in the trash bag with hatred. "What are you gonna do with these?"

"I've something in my mind." He winked at her. Sarah's body relaxed at his careless response. She needed someone like him in her life.

They both walked back to Chris's apartment.