35. the final countdown, part 1

THE AIRY AND CAREFREE MOOD the group shared in the field as they prepared for the night ahead had soured like milk once they returned to the RV. The danger of the upcoming fight settled upon the teenagers like dust after a battle, leaving the atmosphere entirely somber and dark. It was finally beginning to dawn on them that they were very much at risk of losing one of their own, a concept that seemed too real and frightening to even give thought to. Ringo had asked Steve to drive this time, as he would be dropping off the groups at each of their designated points. She just couldn't bring herself to be the one to take these children to what could possibly be their deaths, the protectiveness within her swelling until she felt as if her chest would burst.

Ringo Wheeler didn't want to say goodbye to her family, but if she chose not to and something happened she'd never have been able to forgive herself. While Steve pulled in front of the Creel house an eerie chill ran across her as the building loomed before them. The blonde opened the door for the teenagers, stepping out before them to say goodbye before they escaped her clutches.

She hugged Lucas, telling him to be strong no matter what he saw. Erica had been a little more resistant to any sign of affection, but eventually gave in and accepted a side embrace that seemed to break a part of her shell. The image would never leave Ringo's mind - Erica Sinclair, always so brave and determined, staring wide eyed with pursed lips up at Ringo as if she was ready to cry. It felt wrong. It felt as if she were sending them to their deaths.

Max stepped into her arms without protest, her nails digging into the blondes back with how hard they hugged.

"You better fight back, alright?" Ringo sniffled, the lump in her throat thickening even further. "And keep two feet on the ground at all times."

"I will," Max vowed. "Thank you so much for being there for me this year. Tell your mom thanks, too. You guys really made me feel like I have a family."

"You do," Ringo reassured, leaning back from their hug to speak the words whilst making eye contact, to further drive her point home. With a shrug, the redhead moved along to join Lucas and soon was followed after by Sunny.

Truly, Sunny didn't seem all that frightened. Perhaps it was because this was her first time facing something like this and she didn't fully understand the true danger they were in. Perhaps she really was just that tough.

"After all this is over I'm expecting your help in not getting grounded by mom," she coughed a short, low laugh.

"Trust me," Ringo chuckled along with her. "Neither you or I will see the light of day again after this. I'd sooner run to Vecna than to Mom when she finds out."

"Mom's not all that scary," the girl looked down to her feet as she spoke with a soft smile. Ringo immediately clocked onto her use of the word 'mom' - something she had never said before since she had joined their family. It had always been 'Julia' to Sunny, but maybe the girl was finally accepting how accepted she had been.

"Stay safe, okay?" Ringo prompted, giving her a tight hug. Having been an only child her whole life until the previous year, she always imagined what it would be like to have a sister. And although she hadn't come in the same package most siblings had, Sunny had filled a hole in their family they didn't even realise existed.

Finally boarding the RV once more, Ringo was swiping at her cheeks with the backs of her hands as she closed the door behind her.

"Are you okay?" Steve gently questioned before putting the vehicle back into drive, his eyes full of concern as he watched the quietly crying blonde settle into the couch next to Robin.

"This shit isn't right," was all she replied, in a gruff voice. "It's not right."

Steve didn't answer, for there was truly nothing to be said. They were too young for this. All of them were.