06. The Messages

I found Shawn standing on the wall when school was out, his head leaned against the wall with his back pressed against it. He was staring out at the bundles of teenagers split off into their social groups, laughing, talking, passing phones around. Others were running off to their cars. A couple was pressed against the wall a few yards away from him making out. He was just watching everything that was happening. He was alone, so I went up to him.

"Shawn," I called. When he saw me he pushed himself off the wall. "Hi, Shawn."

"Hi," He said, forcing a smile.

"How are you doing?" I asked, still worried about him, and wanting to know what was wrong.

Shawn sighed,"Okay. Thanks for asking."

I smiled at him, wondering if he'd tell me what's wrong if we were closer. I really wanted to be closer with him.

Leo suddenly came out of nowhere and nudged my arm."C'mon, let's go!" he said, walking backwards then swiftly turning and sprinting to his car.

"What's the rush?" I yelled, but he had already gotten far away enough from me that he couldn't hear me.

I roll my eyes at him and turn back to Shawn. "Who's that?" he asked.

"My brother, Leo. He's a senior." I said. Shawn mouthed,"Oh," and stared off at Leo as he trotted towards his car.

"He doesn't look a lot like you," Shawn commented, and he was right. We don't look alike. Leo's got my mom's dark red hair, and my dads green eyes and strong body build. I've got my dad's brown hair and my moms dark brown eyes. I thought it was boring, and I wished I got my moms hair and my dads eyes, like Leo did. But nope.

"I know, I get that a lot." I shrug.

"He's your ride?"

"Yea. Hey, I gotta go. Why don't we finish the conversation over text?" I say, trying to be as subtle as possible that I wanted to talk to him.

He finally genuinely smiled, and pulled his phone out. "That's a good idea." he said, opening the contacts application and handing his device to me.

I quickly typed in my name and number and gave his phone back. "Okay, text me! Bye." I laughed walking away. Shawn grinned again and then looked down at the concrete as I reached Leo's car, which had pulled up to the front of the school.

"So, who's your boyfriend?" Leo teased as I climbed into his car.

"Shut up, he's not my boyfriend. He's my friend, and he's got a girlfriend." I sighed and we drove off and I watched as Shawn walked to his Jeep, looking sad again. Why was he so upset?

"Whatever. Did you make any other friends besides your boyfriend with a girlfriend?"

"Kinda." I giggled.

"My blessing worked! I am God! I am God!" he cheered playfully and I laughed.

"Her name's Leah, she's in my art class."

"Is she hot?" he wondered aloud.

"LEO." I shouted, causing him to laugh.

He threw his hands in the air as we drove down a straight road."I'm just kidding! Damn, I don't wanna mess around with your friends. That's disturbing." he snorted, placing his hands back on the wheel. "But I told you you would make friends."

We pulled up to the house and we got out, taking our stuff inside. Mom was in the kitchen, mixing something in a pot on the stove. Dad wasn't anywhere, and Quentin was sitting at the dinner table doing homework.