Chapter 31

Jessica?

How could it be. It seemed like just recently I saw her with the southern rebel necklace, and now she's suddenly become a northern rebel?

She had told me her dad was the southern rebel and she only wore the necklace to represent him. She must of been a secret northern rebel at the time and now has made her way to work at the compounds. I was only assuming, though. Everything right now is a bit fuzzy.

The car had dark windows making nothing visible from them. That was probably so that we could not see where the northern rebel compounds were located.

I sat in the back seat, although there were no seat belts or chairs. Ryan and I held on to each other trying to prevent being tossed around and I was practically sitting on top of him.

The ride was rough. We were tossed around with every little bump that the car made. The hard jerks and stops sent me flying into the side of the doors and the back. I wouldn't doubt if I was covered in bruises by the time we got back.

I was sore all over. My neck, my back, my arms, my legs. I felt like noodle. If Jessica told me to get out of the car and start walking, I would probably fall over. I felt weak.

The car came to a violet stop that I was not expecting. I lost my grip of Ryan and was thrown into the side of the door and hit my whole left side. Ryan stumbled over a bit but landed on me instead of the door.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

"Yeah," I stifled a groan.

I bit my lips together and squeezed my eyes shut. Everything hurt all over my body.

I heard the front door open and then slam shut. Jessica's footsteps seemed to be walking away from the car, from what I could hear.

It was night time, probably around 10:00, and I wondered if I would ever get to sleep. I also wondered if the other girls were sleeping right now or if the palace was still under a lock down. I wouldn't doubt if they wanted everyone to stay in the safe room over night just in case.

I could hear muffled voices from outside the car before Jessica opened the door next to us and began talking.

"Up. Now."

I stood up and immediately felt all of the tension. My body ached and I couldn't help but to let out a weak moan.

"Are you alright?" Ryan asked concerned.

"She's fine!" Jessica yelled at him.

My heart beat was intense and gaining speed every second. My palms were sweaty and were still bound together with rope, as well as Ryan's.

From what I could see in the dark night sky, the compound was big, almost like an office. It had flowers out front and trees surrounding it. It could of easily blended in with any other building around here.

The drive took about an hour and was extremely painful. Oh, how I wish someone would come look for us before she tries to take us back in that car herself.

We walked inside of a building that was almost vacant except for a few people walking around and giving us angry glances. Two men walked behind us and Jessica led us into a room with two chairs and a desk. She stepped behind the desk and instructed us to sit.

I took a seat on the chair closest to the door and Ryan sat on the one next to me.

"Well... It's good to see you again," she smirked as the men closed the door.

She leaned on the desk and placed her palms on top of some papers.

"Let me explain if you are a little confused," she said walking around her desk and sitting on the top of it, "my father was a southern rebel. He also was in the attack you guys experienced earlier before we came. I don't make my fathers decisions... he decided for himself to go attack the palace after Emily threatened to block out the rebels. I was informed about half way through the attack that my father died from being shot by a guard, and I was devastated. It's such an awful way to die... while you're at work like that. This was his job and you guys killed him while he was working. How thoughtless are you? Well, I was extremely upset, but I knew what I had to do. I came here. To the northern rebel compound, and asked if I could immediately join the northern rebel force. My dad died trying to fight against the palace so it is my duty to help finish what he started. I know he would be proud of me for doing this for him. Sure, I'm not a southern rebel, but I am not my dad. I am a northern rebel now and I find northern rebels to be much more powerful."

She took a break for a moment. What was wrong with her? She made it sound like we killed her dad when he put himself into this mess. I did not feel pity or sadness, instead, I wanted to claw at her face.

"Emily," she walked over to me, "you deserve a punishment, don't you think? I mean you didn't physically kill anyone, so I can't kill you, but you did cause harm. Face it," she inched closer to me and I looked down, "you hurt Tammy, you killed my father, you killed tons of other guards and rebels, you betrayed the palace by leaking its facts, and destroyed everything."

Stop, stop, stop!

She held a gun at my head and my heart stopped.

"You deserve this," she said as she pointed the gun downward.

I closed my eyes and heard the trigger being pulled into place.

Ryan, if this is goodbye, just remember that I love you.

I whispered it in my head, but I knew he couldn't hear my thoughts.

I didn't know where the gun was aimed until I heard the pow of the gun and felt a screeching pain in my thigh.

"AHH!" I screamed on the top of my lungs again and again until I couldn't scream anymore.

I was bawling uncontrollably and winced. I rocked back and forth on the chair.

The pain was unbearable. I was crying and screaming. I lost my breath and couldn't breathe. I could hear Ryan's voice, but I could not make out what he was saying.

I could see him sitting by my side and Jessica laughing uncontrollably. The men were gone and soon after, Jessica left as well.

"Emily.." The words sounds mushed.

Ryan was becoming harder to see. I stopped crying and screaming and only kept my mouth open. Every inch of my body was numb and my thigh was pounding. My vision became blurry and I saw dots, until everything became white and I couldn't see anything else.