6 ~ Notes

"Deuce!" Ace exclaimed as he entered, his face red and out of breath from sprinting to class. All eyes were turned to him and he apologized profusely to the professor before heading to his seat next to his friends.

Yuu scooted closer to him and leaned next to his ear to whisper, "What happened?" Grim and Ace both moved closer as well, wanting to know what would keep Deuce, of all people, from attending class on time.

'I can't tell anyone.' He watched Yuu's concerned expression. 'Yuu, you're the nicest one of all of us... why are you with someone like him?'

"I had to... help an upperclassman with something." Technically, it wasn't a lie. He did help Floyd relieve some stress. The thought of being used as Floyd's little stress ball made his blood boil and he clenched his fist under the table.

Yuu tilted her head. "Who?"

"Uh... I don't know. He just told me he needed help with something and it would only take a second." Deuce could tell that his lie was becoming more transparent with every word.

Ace raised an eyebrow. "Something? As in?"

"Just carrying some papers to another classroom, okay? I missed enough of class already, lemme focus," he grumbled, tugging his collar upwards.

"Jeez, someone's in a bad mood," Ace commented, though it seemed to do the trick. None of them were pressuring him anymore and he let out a sigh of relief, glad he didn't have to keep lying to his friends.

Deuce couldn't focus throughout the lesson. What if Floyd went after Yuu's other friends? What if he came back for him? What if he even hurt Yuu? He felt bad for Yuu; taken out of her old world and brought here, only to fall for the worst kind of person.

He watched her side profile. The more he thought about it, the more everything made sense. The sudden influx in time Floyd and Yuu had started spending together, the way she couldn't help but smile whenever she saw him... she definitely had a thing for him. He wished that Floyd was lying, but it was evident that he wasn't.

"Hm?" She noticed him watching her and looked at him out of the corner of her eye. He quickly averted his gaze to the front of the room, back to the professor.

'So, something's definitely bothering Deuce,' Yuu scribbled onto a piece of paper that she'd placed in between her and Ace, nudging his elbow to get his attention.

He glanced at the paper and then at Deuce before nodding. 'Yeah. Think something happened?'

Grim moved between her and Ace and grabbed a pen, scribbling, 'Maybe he got into a fight!'

Yuu and Ace both took longer than they should've trying to decipher Grim's messy handwriting before Yuu wrote, 'Can't imagine Deuce getting into a fight during passing period, though...'

'Unless he was provoked or smth,' Ace scrawled.

She turned to look at Deuce, who was facing forward with his pen on his paper but wasn't moving at all, instead staring ahead with an intense expression. 'But why won't he tell us?'

'Maybe he got beat up.'

'By who?'

'An upperclassman?'

'I think that was a lie.'

'But yk Deuce doesn't like lying with his whole honor student attitude.'

'Half-truth?' Yuu glanced up to Ace, who was subtly nodding. She turned back to the paper. 'Should we make him tell us, though? Even if he lost, he would still tell us...'

'So we just leave him looking like that all day?' Ace pointed his pen slightly to Deuce, who sat with a clouded expression on his face.

Yuu shrugged. 'All I'm saying is I think he'll tell us if he's comfortable, right?'

'Ig, but this still doesn't seem right.'

'If he doesn't say anything after a few days, we'll ask again.'

Ace drew a thumbs-up in response and Yuu crumpled the paper into a ball before handing it to Grim. "Can you throw this awa-uh, never mind..?"

Grim had eaten the paper ball. "Thanks?" Ace whispered, looking as put off as Yuu was. "You guys should get better ink. This tastes gross!" Grim groaned after swallowing, sticking out his tongue.

"Maybe you're not meant to ingest the ink, Grim..." Yuu laughed, patting his head and resuming taking notes.