Chapter 43

Lucy POV

“Wow, shortie, you really suck at this.” Carter said as he blew my head off in a video game.

I groaned. “This is hard.”

“It’s okay, trouble, you will learn.” Matt laughed, patting my arm lightly.

“We could play a board game.” I said, turning to look at Carter with a small smile on my face.

“I’ll pass, short stuff. I heard that you cheat.” he said, turning the game off.

“I don’t cheat.” I huffed, placing the controller on the table. “It’s not my problem that Theo and Noah don’t know how to play.”

“You are right.” Noah said. “We don’t know how to play against a cheater.”

I shot him a glare, and he laughed.

“You don’t have time, anyway, love.” Liam said, scrolling through his phone. “Grandpa will be here to pick you up in half an hour.”

Theo tensed up, and the playful look disappeared from Noah’s face immediately.

It was Sunday, and it was time for me to leave with grandpa on our walk.

I spent the morning with all of my brothers and all of my cousins. They were trying to teach me to play video games. I’ve lost every single one of them. Needless to say, I will be sticking with board games from now on. That is if anyone will want to play with me after Noah and Theo successfully spread lies about me cheating.

“Are you excited, Shortcake?” Dylan asked as he sipped his coffee.

“I am.” I smiled. “It will be nice to spend some time with grandpa.”

I was worried about Noah and Theo, though. I thought about canceling more than once, but grandpa was so excited to spend time with me, and I couldn’t do that to him. He said he was taking me somewhere special, and I saw how much it meant to him.

“Do you know where he is taking me?” I asked my brothers and cousins.

“Yes.” Liam said, while others nodded.

“Will you tell me?” I asked, hopeful.

“No.” Liam responded.

“How will I know what to wear then?” I sighed.

“This is good.” Liam said, pointing at my clothes. “You don’t have to change.”

I looked down at what I was wearing. Jeans, a black t-shirt with a small white flower on it, and white Chucks.

“Are you sure?” I raised my head to look at Liam.

“He is taking you for a walk, shortie.” Carter chuckled. “You don’t need heels and a dress.”

“One, I don’t own heels.” I frowned. “Two, walks could be fancy.”

“You are perfect, don’t worry, Shortcake.” Dylan smiled at me.

“Okay.” I said, smiling back at him.

I really wasn’t the type of girl who cared much about clothes and makeup. I preferred jeans, sweats, and sneakers. I couldn’t wait for fall and winter so I could wear my hoodies. I really, really love cold weather. This heat is unbearable. If you ask me, it is much easier to warm yourself up than cool yourself down.

I just didn’t want to offend grandpa. If he shows up here in dress pants and a button-up shirt, I will smack my brothers and cousins.

The rest of the time flew by. I was talking and laughing with my family. Theo and Noah were getting more restless by the minute. I was thinking about changing my mind and staying more than once.