Chapter 46

Wind swirled the few remaining leaves on the December trees, sending them raining down around me

Wind swirled the few remaining leaves on the December trees, sending them raining down around me. The saddle was hard beneath my thighs, freshly oiled leather, not yet broken in. Toby had it made brand new for me, along with the bridle and reins that were now slipped through my gloved fingers. I wondered how long it would all take to soften, to feel less sharp and harsh.

There must have been twenty or more others on horseback, and as many on foot, and as many hounds. To think, a year ago my father hadn't let me even mount a horse. Now, I was expected to take his place in the Boxing Day fox hunt.

The Huntmaster came over, tipping his riding cap in greeting. "Miss Kimber. I'm sorry to hear about your father."

He was devastatingly handsome, with light eyes and a sharp grin. A lord, I suddenly remembered, with hectares of land and a renovated castle. Enough land to hold this year's hunt. Edward, he was called.

I cleared my throat. "My father will be out in no time, I'm sure," I smiled.

I expected him to leave it at that and be on his way, greeting the other hunters. He surprised me.

"You must come to Norfolk more often," he said. "You know you're a dear friend of the family."

"Likewise," I said politely. "If you're ever near Coventry."

"It wasn't an empty offer, you know." His eyes twinkled in the morning light. "I've been thinking of getting serious about the horse racing. Not as much money in jumping, these days. Perhaps you could show me the ropes."

I decided not to tell him I was new to the industry myself, that I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I didn't want to look foolish in front of him. If anything, I wanted to impress him. My hand rose to smooth my hair, ready to agree, when all of a sudden, I heard the most aggravating voice in the world.

"Morning, Kimber."

My jaw clenched. I refused to lose my composure in front of Edward. Refused to even turn around in the saddle, to acknowledge Thomas Shelby with my gaze.

"Morning," I replied through gritted teeth.

Edward's eyes flicked between us both.

"Actually, I think I'll be back in Norfolk in just a couple week's time," I said, blood roaring in my ears. "We haven't as many of our own horses at the Fakenham races this time, we're preparing for the Grand National. But we'll be able to bet on others and get into all sorts of mischief."

Edward's gaze softened, lingering on me just a moment too long. "I look forward to it," he said. "I hope you enjoy the hunt."

He nodded once at Tommy and rode away to greet the others.

"Not only have you stolen my knowledge, you're now passing it on to every imbecile in England with a stable," Tommy said coolly. "And you called me the shit businessman."