5 | no offense

NO, THIS COULDN'T BE REAL

With his suitcase beside him, Cameron was propping his elbows on the desk and shooting his charming smile at the woman in charge, Riley.

Riley looked in her fifties. She had her long blonde hair in a bun and wore a Hard Rock Cafe California tee shirt. They were in the middle of a chat when I reached out, Riley telling Cameron about her tavern.

However, she paused when she saw me, and Cameron's gaze landed on me, too. I could swear I saw a wave of relief in his eyes before he rolled them at me.

"Hey," Riley greeted me. "How can I help you?"

"Hi," I greeted back before I turned to Cameron. "What are you doing here?"

"Booking a room," he said casually. He looked more tired than I did. Unless he fetched a ride, he must've been walking down here.

"I mean, how did you come here?"

"My baby gave me one last ride." Your baby? I looked at him in disgust as he continued, "Its engine is damaged, so it'll take five-ish days to be fixed."

"Good for you," I mumbled. Though his existence drove me crazy, it was nice to have him with me here. Still, I wore my annoyed face because he didn't need to know about my insecurities or that I secretly liked his presence.

He leaned closer and ducked his head down. "You were gone," he said in a low tone. "I—"

"I met Uncle Joe on the way." When I looked back at him, Cameron's gaze turned around, too. "He brought me here. Guess I'm lucky this time."

"Apparently, I'm luckier," he said, flashing a grin at Riley.

I stole a glance at Riley's impressed look. I didn't know how, but this guy could wrap anyone around his finger. He'd always been the loved one at school. Though he was a geek like me, he had friends, and nobody called him a geek. His only problem was in the girls' department since he wasn't the type that high school girls lusted after.