Chapter 32

I didn't know exactly what happened until I woke up in the care center in the palace.

I opened my eyes to see my leg hung up in a sling and a nurse standing by me looking a machine. I must have made a noise because she turned around and gasped.

"Lady Emily! You're awake," she bent down toward me, "I was just about to take a blood sample to see if you were just unconscious or fazing into a coma," she looked relieved

"What happened?" I moaned.

Wires pulled from out of my arms and into machines. I stared at them and from what I could make out, I was covered in bruises, they got the bullet out of my thigh, and my leg was bandaged up.

"You past out after the incident that happened at the northern rebel compound. You do remember that right?"

I nodded slightly.

"We found you guys at around midnight last night and you've been in here since then. It's 1:30 in the afternoon now."

I closed my eyes. I still didn't feel good.

"Prince Ryan has come to see you multiple times. Basically whenever he has free time he is here. Kathleen and Amelia also have stopped by this morning. Tammy hasn't, though. She is still in her room recovering from her own leg injury."

She was turned around now, looking back at the machine.

I turned my head; just wanting to sleep. Pounding feelings still sparked in my head and I was taking plenty of medicines for it.

"May I come in?" Ryan asked, coming into the room anyway.

"Hey," I croaked quietly.

"Hey," he said softly, "how's my sweet girl?"

His sweet girl?

"Good..." I tried to smile and he only laughed.

"So you're finally awake, huh?"

"Yeah..." I looked up.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like a potato."

"Hm, that doesn't seem good," he laughed.

I laughed along and then he continued.

"I was checking on Tammy. She's healing up pretty good. Only a scar is what is left on her."

"Good," I moaned.

"Listen, Emily, all the selected have switched rooms because of the damage that was done to your current rooms. You're staying a room down the hall," Ryan sat in a chair next to my bed and placed his hand on mine.

I was in a hospital gown and since my leg was lifted up in a sling, I'm pretty positive he could see up it. I didn't care, though and he didn't seem to mind.

"Really?" I coughed.

"Yeah, that's why your maids aren't here by you now. They are packing your stuff up and getting it to your new room."

I wondered why Chelsea and Karen wouldn't be here. The mention of their names reminded me of something.

"Have they found Tes?" I asked, propping myself up.

"They're looking. I hate to say it, but they have their suspicion that she was killed."

I sighed. I want her to be found. I would miss her terrible.

Ryan looked around, but then continued, "One guard said that the rebel who was dragging her away was the former guard who was fired for harassing her that one night when Amity was here."

"What?"

He must of become a rebel. Oh, I could just imagine how terrifying it would be to see the guard who hurt you, come and take you away. I hope she is still alive, but something tells me that she isn't.

"Yeah, I know," Ryan sighed, "So how's her leg?" He asked the nurse behind me.

"Getting better. We are just in the process of healing now. We immediately got the bullet out as soon as we found her, which is a good thing so you don't have to experience the pain while you are awake. Now, however, we are going to watch the wound close up and once that is done you can go back to your room and continue how you normally do. The scar and the bruises will probably all that is left, and the scar will be easy to cover up by your dresses. The bruises will be iffy. We are going to keep you here, Emily, for the next two days until the wound closes. When we send you back to your room after that, you will have to use crutches to keep the pressure off. Everything should be completely back to normal by a week or so, except for the scar, of course."

It was a lot to take in, but I'd get through it. The only thing I worried about was my competing here in the selection. A week is a pretty long time especially with all the tasks we have been doing. Hannah was sent home because she was too injured to continue. Would I be as well?

"Ryan, are you going to eliminate me?" I blurted out.

"Of course not. Why?"

"Because you eliminated Hannah when she was injured."

"I would have sent her home anyways, Emily. You're strong, you can take this. I know you can. I want to see you fight this out until the end. Emily, I love you. I want to marry you as soon as possible and first I have to eliminate the rest of the selected," he said as the nurse walked out of the room.

"I love you too," I whispered back.

After a moment he continued, "Emily, I eliminated Kathleen this morning."

"What?!"

She was gone. I didn't even get to take a picture with her?

"Is she gone now?"

"No. Not yet, but in a few hours."

I sighed, "Tell her to come see me as soon as she can."

"Alright."

"Oh! And tell Chelsea to get my camera too!"