Chapter 25 | breakdown

This was by far the most terrifying thing she'd ever had to do.

Explaining to a teenager how diabolical his father really was, after he'd already lost his mother. It was going to break him, but he needed to know.

So when Nathalie called Adrien up to her room, long after Gabriel had gone off to his stupid little lair, she was shaking in nervousness. Adrien saunters in, oversized pyjamas top and shorts on, hair clipped out of his face from doing his skin care. He was ready for bed, and Nathalie had to ruin his chances of a good nights sleep. She felt awful.

"Hey, what's... going on?" Adrien asked, already a little weary.

"Sit down... there's something I need to tell you" she sighed.

Adrien sat at the end of the bed, Nathalie's domineer worried him. Something was wrong, he could tell.

"Adrien I won't sugar coat this. It's going to hurt, it's going to hurt really bad. But you deserve to know the truth, and... if you need to get away after this for a while, I already filled in Luka and his mum so you can run off there if you have to" she began.

Adrien's blood immediately ran cold, if it was so bad that she'd already filled in his boyfriend and his family... what could this be?

"And please know that I tried. I tried to fix things but... I just couldn't. There was no way. I have a plan to stop everything though, it's a long shot but it might work. So... listen carefully"

His heart was already beating out of his chest, he knew it was going to be bad. He just knew it, but he needed to know what it was.

"Your father... he... he's hawkmoth. He has been this whole time..." She admitted.

Adrien was silent, processing what she just said. Part of him was shocked, part of him wasn't surprised since he knew his father was a bad person. But in that exact moment the words left her mouth, his whole world shattered around him. Not only had he lost his mother, he'd just lost his father too. Sure he wasn't dead, but he was dead to Adrien.

"He..." Adrien muttered, at a loss for words.

"He's been trying to get the miraculous to use them to revive your mum. At first I understood where he was coming from, but when he started to get power hungry and I discovered how he was planning to revive her I... lost all faith in him. He wants to tear apart the world and create an entirely new one where he and Emilie are at the centre of it, the catch is if he does that she won't have free will. You won't have free will, no one will. The whole world will be under his control, exactly how he wants it... so as much as I wish Emilie could come back too, not like this, never like this" Nathalie explained.

As if his heart wasn't already shattered, now it was being stomped on. Not only was his father abusing him, he was hawkmoth AND he wanted to revive Emilie JUST to have control over her? Gabriel Agreste was a sick, sick man. One Adrien was ashamed to share DNA with. He couldn't even say a word, tears just welled up in his eyes as Nathalie explained, trying not to cry herself.

"Im ashamed to admit it, but I did act as Mayua for a while... and because the miraculous was broken, that's why I got so sick. It's hurt me, permanently-" Nathalie continued only to be cut off by Adrien.

"Did he force you?" Adrien said.

His cheeks now stained with tears, he's gone from betrayed to full of pure rage. He knew the type of man his father was, and he knew that Nathalie was a victim here as well.

"N-not exactly-"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN NOT EXACTLY? DID HE FORCE YOU?!" Adrien snapped.

"Shhhh! Don't alarm him. He can't know I'm doing this. But... at first I volunteered because I wanted your mother back too. But then when I got sick and he went nuts I stopped wanting to help him. And then he... then he forced me. He only stopped because he knew I'd die if I continued and that would make him look suspicious. Two women close to him dying so close together? That would be very suspicious" Nathalie explained.