24 || surveillance

| CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
| surveillance

| CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR| surveillance

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

I woke up to the sound of a banging on my bedroom door, except the banging was so sudden and loud that my heart skipped over a beat and my head immediately hurt from the sudden movement my body made in my half-asleep state.

"...downstairs in the kitchen within six minutes!" my mom was saying.

"What?" I asked, my voice still a bit raspy and dry from it being so early.

"I want you downstairs in six minutes!" she repeated before her footsteps waned off in the distance. I got out of bed and went into my bathroom, using the five minutes I still had left to splash some water in my face and to brush my teeth.

After being done in the bathroom and picking up my glasses from my nightstand, I went downstairs as my mom told me to. She was waiting for me in the kitchen, a cup of coffee in her hands she was slowly sipping from.

"Good morning, Mom," I said, sitting down on one of the chairs. I'd been up too late last night texting Oakley, and now I felt the consequences of that.

"Are you and Kylan not friends anymore?" she asked me. From all the things she could've asked or said, that was the least I'd expect.

"What?" I asked. I didn't even know she knew we talked, let alone thought we were friends.

"I thought you two were friends. You used to look up to him a lot."

"I was a kid," I said, getting up from the chair and rummaging through the cupboards mindlessly. In reality I didn't want to look at her.

"I heard you two had a fight."

"From who?" I grabbed a bowl out of the cupboard, and next I got some cereal. After last night and with this interrogation, I couldn't be bothered to prepare anything more substantial.

"From Russ. I think you know why this is a problem," she said. Russ was the director, and him sensing tension between Kylan and me was not good. I kept my eyes fixed on the bowl as I poured in the cereal.

"We had an argument," I said. "But it's all fine."

"He says your stutter gets worse whenever you two have to work together."

"I can't get rid of my stutter," I argued. "It's just there sometimes." Usually it wasn't enough to bother the production, I hadn't even noticed it was worse in scenes with Kylan.

"Your unresolved issues are making it a problem."

"Who says I'm the one causing a problem?" I asked a little more harshly than intended. The kitchen was quiet for a few seconds, and I took a shaky breath. "I'm sorry."

"What happened?" my mom asked. I knew she didn't ask because she cared. She only asked because she wanted it fixed so that I could do my job properly.

"Just an argument."