Trouvaille

The two took lunch at The Three Broomsticks. Severus had Shepherd's pie, while Hyacinth had a bowl of soup. The pair had gotten odd looks from their waitress, she had probably noticed the resemblance, but she had made no comment. She knew better than to get on Severus' wrong side. It was better and safer to stay quiet.

 Severus noticed how Hyacinth barely ate, swirling her spoon through the liquid and only occasionally sipping at the broth. She was quiet too. Unusually quiet. Severus knew they had things to discuss, but a packed wizarding pub was not the place for it: listening ears and all.

Sighing, Severus threw up a silent Muffliato and a quick Disillusionment Charm.

"You're quiet. I don't think I've ever seen you this quiet," he said, teasing the girl before him.

She shot him a slight, fleeting smile before she answered, "I'm just thinking," came her quiet response.

Severus chuckled slightly. "That's dangerous," he joked. His heart swelled with pride when his daughter giggled. She shook her head slightly.

"What do we do?" She asked. Severus cocked his head to the side.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I clearly don't look like Hazel Potter anymore. How do we explain Hazel Potter's disappearance and my subsequent appearance?" She explained, hand movements frantic and eyes worried.

Severus hummed slightly. "We could place the glamour back on you. Hide you in plain sight," he suggested, but Hycinth immediately shook her head in the negative. "No?" he asked.

"No," was the firm answer, "I've spent 14 years in a body that turns out wasn't my own, a face that wasn't mine. I don't want to return to that now that I'm somebody else. I hated that life. The abuse, the expectations. This. This is a new start" Severus' eyes widened. 

"Abuse? What abuse?" He demanded.

Hyacinth sighed. "I was living with the Dursleys" was the only explanation, and it was all the explanation needed, for she could see the rage in her mother's eyes.

Severus didn't answer her. Instead, the rest of their meal was spent in silence as Severus stewed in his anger and guilt. He wished he had known. Even if he didn't realise that Hazel Potter was his daughter back then, if he had known that she was living with Petunia, he would've fought tooth and nail to get her out of there. 

After their meal, Severus took his daughter to a dressmaker and had her adequately measured and fit for new clothes. They left with her wearing a new outfit specially made, the rest shrunk and tucked away in his inside pocket alongside his reading glasses.

 They left with her wearing a new outfit specially made, the rest shrunk and tucked away in his inside pocket alongside his reading glasses

Once they exited the dressmakers, they took a quiet walk and sat under a tree along the path to the shrieking shack. Severus shuddered, remembering the true history behind the name of that building. 

"Hyacinth, I was thinking. We don't have to put the glamour back on you, but I have an idea. It requires some of your blood and me going to the Dursley's" He spoke lowly, despite nobody around.

He bent to whisper in Hyacinth's ear, and slowly a grin grew on her face. As he pulled back from whispering in her ear, she whipped her head around to face him, frantically nodding in agreement.