Chap. 45

*trigger warning: child abuse*

"So what is hydrolysis again?" Bryce asked me, running his fingers through his hair.

"It's a compound reacting with water."

"Yeah, that's right," Bryce muttered, flipping through his AP Chemistry book.

"Should we take a break?" I suggested.

"No, I've got to get some studying in," Bryce declined. "I've got practice in an hour."

We made it about five more minutes before Bryce rested his head on my shoulder, closing his eyes.

"We're taking a break," I said, kissing the top of his head.

"It's so much information," he groaned.

"That's why you can't start studying three days before the test," I chastised.

"I've been so busy."

"Baseball can't consume your life."

He didn't argue, instead just continuing to rest on my shoulder.

"How's practice going?" I asked, as I trailed my fingers up and down his upper-arm.

"It's going."

"That doesn't sound encouraging."

"I'm not as out of shape as I thought I'd be. But Preston is more in shape than I am," he said, naming the second-string pitcher on the team.

It'd never been a competition between Bryce and Preston for starting pitcher. Everyone just knew that Bryce Harrison was the better pitcher.

"I've just got to play the catch up game is all," Bryce said, letting out a long sigh. "And it sucks."

Bryce's bedroom door opened, and Clayton came sauntering in.

Lately he's been acting as though Bryce and I acting all coupley in front of him doesn't faze him.

Ever since his biological father's been showing up in the most random of places, it's as though nothing fazes him anymore. He's just a blank slate.

We've always tried to tone it down in front of him. Snuggle less, kiss less, that sort of thing. But lately he just seems to turn a blind eye.

"Did you bring me a smoothie?" Bryce asked, picking himself up off of me.

"I brought you a protein shake," Clayton corrected, handing it to him.

Bryce nodded, opening the top and chugging some of it down.

"So how does it feel?" I asked Clayton, as he picked up Bryce's AP Chemistry book.

"What?" Clayton asked.

"You only have three more days left," I reminded him. "Then you're free of high school. Forever."

He just shrugged, flipping through Bryce's AP Chemistry book.

"We're going to have to celebrate," Bryce commented, as he finished off half of his protein shake.

"I'm not really interested."

Bryce had continually tried to break Clayton's emotionless façade. But Clayton's walls were thick.

It was like the more he saw his biological dad, the more he withdrew from the outside world.

Bryce tipped back the rest of the protein shake. "It's the last day of your Senior year," Bryce reminded him, slamming the empty container down on his nightstand. "We're going out."