one

112 AC

112 AC

It was a beautiful day in King's Landing as birds chirped on the balcony ledge and the sun beat down from the bright, blue sky. A perfect day to do some riding.

But alas here she was, sitting with her heavily pregnant sister, Aemma. Valaenyra watched as Aemma was being pampered by her lady-in-waiting and servants.

Her sister was due soon and she couldn't wait for the arrival of her future niece or nephew. She knew how much her sister wanted this baby to come out healthy and strong, and Valaenyra would pray to the Seven every single day for that to happen.

"I swear when you have a baby one day, I hope you don't have to experience the same pain as I did right now," Aemma huffed.

"What makes you think that I will want one?" Valaenyra replied. "A baby will just hinder my plans, sister. I couldn't exactly ride my dragon carrying a baby can't I?"

Her grandmother, Queen Alysanne bestowed her a dragon egg upon her arrival in King's Landing when she was a babe. Her beloved grandmother claimed that it was to be her companion and to protect her from any harm.

As she grew older, Valaenyra merely regard the gesture as sympathy for having to grow up without the loving touch of a mother, but she accepted it nonetheless.

Who wouldn't want a dragon. Not to mention, she also already had a loving touch of a sister who tend over Valaenyra from a babe till she bloomed to be an adult. She couldn't thank her sister enough for taking over that responsibility even though she was a mere child herself.

"You carry Rhaenyra on your dragon when she was little, and it is our duty to marry and have their children," Aemma said with her forehead puckered thoughtfully.

Valaenyra nodded at her sister, she understand how important duty is to her sister.

"While we are on that topic, when are you getting married, sister? You are already way past your marrying age and you do understand I am not getting any younger. I would really love for Rhaenyra and this little babe over here," she said as she pointed to her belly "to meet and play with their cousins."

"I don't want you to be an old maid when you marry, or be with someone that is not even worthy of you," Aemma continued as she smiled fondly.

"I did promise you that the day the babe will be born will be the day I start finding myself a husband wouldn't I?" she responded and rested her chin on her palm in boredom from this talk of marrying and children.

Aemma rubbed a hand over her protruding belly, "Well I hope that day will come quickly as I couldn't wait for this babe to be born. My back is already killing me enough, this babe will make me die young."

Valaenyra watched her sister with a fond smile on her face as Aemma fanned herself from the heat and was talking about how this baby is trying to destroy her inside.

Suddenly, Rhaenyra walked into the room, followed by her friend, Alicent Hightower.

"Rhaenyra," Aemma called her only daughter. "You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition."

Rhaenyra walked closer to her mother, "You don't like me to go flying while you're in any condition."

Alicent Hightower greeted the Queen while Valaenyra stood up from her chair and greeted her niece with a warm embrace.

"My dear Rhaenyra, it is good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, Aunt," Rhaenyra replied. "How is mother doing?"

"She's doing well, but she's very tired. The baby is due any day now," Valaenyra replied as she stroked her niece's hair.

"Did you sleep?" Rhaenyra asked her mother who looked tired.

"I slept."

Rhaenyra arched a brow at her mother's answer and sat on Valaenyra's chair, "How long?"

"I don't need your mothering, Rhaenyra," Aemma replied while still fanning her face.

"Well, here you are, surrounded by attendants, all focused on the babe. Someone has to attend to you."

"I already have that one hounding me enough," Aemma said as she gestured towards Valaenyra who has her arms crossed over her chest. "You will lie in this bed soon enough, Rhaenyra. This discomfort is how we serve the realm."

"I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory," Rhaenyra retorted in defiance.

Aemma chuckled at her, "I suppose I should stop allowing you to interact with your Aunt. It seems that she has been quite a bad influence on you."

"Well, you know what she was saying is true,"
Valaenyra quipped from behind Rhaenyra as if they stood as a united front.

"We have royal wombs, you and I. The child bed is our battlefield. We must learn to face it with a stiff lip. You too Valaenyra," Aemma sighed out. "Now take a bath. You stink of dragon."

Rhaenyra nodded at her mother. As she stood up, Valaenyra escorted her out of the room.

"We should ride again together sometimes, you haven't been able to ride with me for quite a while," Rhaenyra stated sadly to her Aunt.

"Soon, my little dragon. I miss riding my dragon sometimes, but I wouldn't want Aemma to worry. Her nose seems to be very sharp these days with the pregnancy, and she can smell if someone was close to a dragon from a mile away," Valaenyra replied.

"That's true, it seems that this pregnancy is especially hard on her," Rhaenyra said, worriedly.

"Don't worry, Rhaenyra, I'll watch over Aemma," Valaenyra said calmly to ease her niece.

Rhaenyra hesitated for a moment, but then she nodded and went to her needed spot as the King's cup-bearer in the council meeting. Rhaenyra suddenly stopped at her spot and looked back at Valaenyra like she forgot to tell her something.

"Oh speaking of, I heard that Uncle Daemon might be arriving soon for the heir's tournament."

All Valaenyra could do was just to roll her eyes and went back to attend to her sister. Daemon Targaryen's arrival to King's Landing certainly did not have any effect or whatsoever to Valaenyra.

author note

feedbacks are very much accepted and appreciated. if there's any question, you can just hit up the comments or my message board and i'll answer everything.

don't forget to vote, and comment for more.