Chapter 10 - Fight Back

The next day when I look at my reflection in the mirror I can't help the smile that comes to my lips. I've always worn my hair long and normally in a loose ponytail. I don't have talent or fashion sense to actually do my hair so I go for the most convenient and easiest way. I never imagined that short hair would suit me and make me feel new. Cece cut it so now it's barely passes my chin and with this new haircut I do look more adult and my features look sharper. He also taught me how to do my makeup so it looks professional but natural and so I don't look like a teenager amongst adults. He also came to my room and helped me match my outfits so I look like I know what I'm wearing and not like a child playing dress up.

He's an expert.

I didn't think that just a few details could make such a difference and I am perfectly aware that nothing has changed in me, not really. I'm still the same seventeen years old girl from yesterday, but I do feel different. I feel new and stronger. A part of my knows it's just an illusion, but I'll hold on to this and gather strength from it. I'll follow Cece's advice and repeat to myself over and over again that I'm the producer of this film, I have power. I'll repeat it until I believe it myself. Even if it's until Father comes back, right now I'm the one in charge and people owe me respect, even if I haven't done anything to earn it... yet.

So with that mentality and confident attitude, I head to the outside set. I don't go wearing suit because that'd be absurd, but I don't just go in jeans and a tee as I did yesterday. Instead of jeans, just skinny black trousers with a long white blouse with a delicate and lovely collar and on top a cream coloured jumper. It's soft and delicate but oddly enough I look mature.

Cece told me that wearing heels actually boost confidence but I can't just go wearing them on set, so we settle for trainers with inner heels. The'll give me the posture I need to feel more confident without being uncomfortable.

There are so many tricks to help oneself to feel better in one's skin. I always disregarded as shallow and petty those people who cared so much about their appearance, always thinking it was for others but it turns out caring and being careful about how one looks can be also for oneself, and that's not bad.

"Ann-chan, you look different," Teru greets me when I meet him outside in the hall of the hotel. I smile brightly at him and even swirl so he can appreciate the change. "You look very lovely and happy."

"I feel happy and more confident," I tell him. "Do I look twenty at least?"

He chuckles softly before giving me a comforting smile and answering, "Twenty-one, Ann-chan. You've grown up so fast."

I can only smile brightly before we leave the hotel and head to the set. On our way we discuss work and how things are going. Whilst the director shoots his vision of the film, Teru and I have to deal with all those tedious aspect that everyone forgets about a film, like the financial support, post-production, investor and even the legal aspects. We are on set to make sure our investment is working out but we can't just forget to keep an eye on those aspects that are not dealt with on set.

"Ann-chan," Teru tells me when he parks and before we get off the car. "Don't take the world on your shoulders. I'm here with you and I'll help you. You father never planned for you to take over the company like this and I know he wanted to give you the introduction himself but as he is not here, so I'll help you as much as I can." He turns to look at me with that warm smile I remember from when I was a kid. "I'll be your family here."

"Arigato," I tell him, feeling a bit more relived to hear those words. I do consider Teru as family already but it's good to hear confirmation that it's not only me seeing things like this.

We leave the car and join everyone else who is getting ready to start shooting. On our way Teru has informed me that Terry is joining us today and she should be in fact already in set with her agent so what I do first is too look for her. On my way I spot Cece and when he sees me he blows me a kiss and gives me two thumbs up to encourage me. We talked a lot yesterday as he taught me many things and one of the things he made a lot of emphasis on was to make sure to tell Jerry that no matter what I'm still the person who hired him and unless he wants me to start looking for a new director he should do things properly and respectfully. I treat everyone respectfully and I only ask the same in return.