The Secrets

A marriage forged from secret deals and dirty money. You a princess, bound to wed the second son of the all father Odin. Loki was your groom's name. A god of magic and lies. You were assured he'd take care of you and give you a comfortable life. You only had these promises to hold on to as you walked down the aisle. You saw his face for the first time under your veil. A tall pale man that showed no emotion on his face. The ceremony was a blur. One second you were walking up the steps that lead to Odin's throne the next you were walking out the great hall with your hand in his. After the doors shut he let go. He ran his fingers through his hair before standing in front of a window, as if to get desperately needed fresh air. "Hello." You manage to get your voice to say. His posture snaps up and he spins on his heals to face you. "H-hello." You both stare blankly at each other for a while till he scrambles to a nearby chair bringing it closer to you. "Please sit." He awkwardly hovers over you after you sat down. He seems to notice that he's standing a little too close and try's to move away gracefully. Just as he goes to take a side step his shoelace happens to be caught under your chair. He falls to the ground much like a baby horse learning to walk for the first time. "Are you alright Loki?" You gasp as you quickly move to his aid. "Yes I think so. Other than embarrassment." He sighs as he looks up at you. His cheeks are bright red with blush and his hair is alittle out of place. "No worries, happens to the best of us. Come on up you get." You help him to his feet and bust off his armor. "I guess I should show you to our room." "Oh is there no reception?" "That is tomorrow. Did no one tell you?" You shake your head no and his expression changes to frustration quickly. "Well you should have. I'll figure out who was responsible." You are unsure how to respond so you keep quite.

He leads you down long halls till you stop at two large doors made of dark wood. "This is our room. Your things have already been moved here." He says as opens the door. You take in the beautiful room. It was twice the size of yours back home. "Please make yourself comfortable. We won't be leaving the room till morning. Dinner should be here soon." "Why? If you don't mind me asking?" "Well it's Asgardian tradition to give the newlyweds time together after the ceremony to you know consummate things. But for us we can just get to know each other." He says with a nervous laugh. You notice he fidgets with his fingers often. All through the ceremony, when he was standing next to you outside of the great hall and while walking to the room. You figure it's something he does when he is anxious. Your eyes snap away from his hands when there is a knock at the door. "Ah dinner." He hums as he moves to let the servants in. They quickly clear his little table of books and scrolls and set it nicely for the two of you. "Enjoy my prince and princess." One says before leaving. Loki pulls out your chair and helps you sit. Once in his place he snaps his fingers to light the candles and causing you to jump. "Oh I'm sorry. Didn't mean to startle you. Where you also not told I posses magic?" "No I was told that. I'm just not a fan of fire." You say as you stare at the two little flames dancing around. "I see. Let's just fix that then." He leans over and pinches the flame out between his fingers causing your eyes to grow wide. "That didn't hurt?" "No, barely felt it. Drink wine?" He asks as he uncorks the bottle. "No I don't like it. Water is fine for me thank you." "Interesting. How about you tell me something you do like." "Like what?" "Hmmm favorite color?" "Green actually." You giggle causing his face to light up. "Well then we're off to a great start."

After your meal you notice his large collection of books. You stand in front of the bookcases and take in the vast and diverse selections. "See anything you like?" "A few titles but you have so many in languages I don't recognize. Like this, where is this from?" You ask pointing to a very warn red leather bound book. "Ah that one is Midgardian. It's actually a children's book about a boy who was raised in the jungle. He has many friends like a bear and a panther. The jungle book is the title. It's one of my favorites. I'd love to read it to you sometime." "I'd love to listen sometime." You say when there was a knock on the door. "Oh thats probably Tove your lady's maid. She's very nice and funny. I hope you like her." He says as he opens the door. A small woman walks in and curtsies. "Hello my princess I'm Tove your head maid." "Hello Tove. That's a pretty name. Does it have a meaning?" "No I don't think so your highness." "It does. It means gorgeous in the old language. It fits you well Tove. She will also be your companion till you get the layout of the palace." Loki says as he places his hands on her shoulders. "You can ask me questions too like if you're unsure of how things are done. Prince Loki said you're from a different realm and things could be done differently then back where you're from." Tove says with a smile causing you to giggle. She speaks fast and her voice matches her body well, high and whispery. "I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get. Thank you." "My pleasure now let's get you ready for bed."

She leads you into the bathroom and shuts the door once you're in. "Alright first things first do you take baths or showers?" Tove asks as she starts to take down your hair and remove your veil. "Oh just showers mostly but I do like a relaxing soak from time to time." "Don't we all." She teases as her hands move to the zipper of your dress. You pull away from her as a knee jerk reaction. "Did I pinch you your highness? I'm sorry." "No it's just I have some scarring from an accident on my back and not many people have seen it. Didn't want to frighten you." You say softly as you press your hand against your back, indicating where it is. "Oh don't you worry about me my princess. I may be small but I'm made of tough stuff. Would you like to talk about it?" "Maybe another time." You say just before your breath catches in your throat as you feel her pull the zipper down slowly. The dress falls to your ankles and you can hear Tove make a shocked noise. You quickly turn to face her so she doesn't have to look at the scar any longer than she has to. "I'm sorry Tove. I know how ugly it is." "It is I who should apologize your highness. I'm not frightened by it. I've seen many in my time. It was just the first time seeing it is all. All is well." She says with a smile then moves to get the shower ready for you. "Now you just take your time and I'll get you a change of clothes." "A full set of pajamas please." "Of course my princess. Any tea or something you need before bed?" "Tea would be nice. Thank you Tove." With that she nods, takes your wedding dress and veil and takes her leave.

After the day is washed from your body and are comfortable in your pajamas you walk into the bedroom. You watch Loki set up a chaise lounge with pillows and a blanket. "Is that for me? You didn't have to I could have set up my own bed." You giggle as he gives the pillows a good fluff. "For you? Gods no, you sleep in the bed." "But it's your bed. That's not fair to you. I'm fine with sleeping on the lounge." "Absolutely not. You are my wife and I'm going to take care of you. The bed is all yours till you feel comfortable sharing it." He says as he moves a stack of books from a nightstand to a table closer to his makeshift bed. "That's very kind of you. Thank you." "You're welcome (Y/N). Tove should be back soon so make yourself comfortable." You pull back the green silk sheets and slide in between them. You feel so small in this massive bed. You feel as if you could curl up on a corner of it like a cat.

"I've sent your dress to have it cleaned and preserved. I'll be back in the morning to help you get ready for the reception. Do you need anything else from me?" Tove says as she hands you a tea cup and saucer. "No thank you Tove I think I'm good for the night." She smiles and moves over to Loki. "Anything for you my prince?" "No I'm good as well. Goodnight Tove." "Goodnight your highnesses." She says with a curtsy before closing the door behind her. "She's a sweet girl. Thank you for picking her for me." You say before taking a sip of tea. "Of course but I didn't pick her, my mother did. She used to be a maid for my mother. When word got around you were coming she asked how she could be of help. That's Tove for you always trying to help." He laughs before opening a book. With Loki's focus on his book you're able to get a good look at him. His long black wavy hair. A small scar on his forehead. Brilliantly blue eyes and sharp cheek bones. You would say he's handsome in a physical sense. His lips silently move as his eyes move over the pages. You find it cute how content he seems with a book in his hands. You read on occasion but you can tell Loki is an avid bookworm. With your tea finished you slide further into bed. You never slept on silk sheets before so it takes you a few positions to get comfortable. "Oh going to sleep? I'll turn off the light then." He says before snapping his fingers making the room go dark. He turns on a small lamp next to him so he can continue to read. "Is this ok? Not to bright I hope." "Yes that's fine. Enjoy your book." "Will do. Goodnight (Y/N)."