Part 2: Chapter 31

Part 2: Chapter 31
Triton

I woke up with the sun shining bright on my face making me wince and turn and fall off the bed with a loud thud. My body was aching all over as I laid still, naked on the cold floor. The pain was obviously from yesterday night’s activities but I didn’t let it bother me too much knowing it’d all be gone after a good meal.

Using the edge of the bed as leverage, I pulled myself up to a sitting position. Both Ares and Luca were still asleep, snuggling against each other, naked bodies literally glowing under the sunlight. Standing up, I pulled a blanket over the both of them before looking around the room for a change of clothes.

The room was cleaner than I imagined. Although the bed and mattress was still messy and disarranged, all the bedsheets, pillows and other stuff that was supposed to be all over the floor was nowhere to be seen.

Once I fished out fresh clothes from our bags, I put them on and headed downstairs.

The sound of a kitchen knife hitting a cutting board greeted me as soon as I entered the kitchen. Apollo was preparing breakfast, alone, with only his boxers and a blue apron on. He was humming a familiar tune as he sliced up some onions and garlic cloves.

His back was facing me so he didn’t really notice me when I carefully pulled out a stool and sat on it as I continued watching him cook. Apollo moved swiftly and expertly around the area as if he owned the place. He moved to the rhythm of his humming, every chop, clank and clop of kitchenware hitting the beat at the exact moment.

There was already a pan heating up on one of the stove tops. Once Apollo finished his prep, he added a bit of oil onto the pan, waited for a few moments and then added the garlic and onions, sauteing it until they were soft.

The smell that was starting to waft all over the room was enough to make my mouth water but the moment Apollo brought out chicken breasts coated in seasoning– I couldn’t keep my mouth shut.

“Gods, that looks good” I almost moaned as soon as the meat touched the scalding hot pan.

Apollo looked at me over his shoulder before shooting me a bright smile. “Sleep well?” he asked, gradually adding all of the chicken pieces to the pan until they were all cooking.

I replied with a ‘mm-hmm’ before deciding to help him cook. Once I was by his side, he handed me some green onions and I chopped them up without question and set them aside after I was done. He gave me a few more orders to wash the rice he has prepared and to get a large pot from one of the storage cabinets when a beep coming from the direction of the bathroom distracted us both.

“That would be the laundry” Apollo mumbled under his breath when he noticed my confused expression before slowly meeting my eyes, “Could you take care of that for a bit?”

“Sure” I agreed, I was already done with the rice and pots and stuff anyway so I headed to the laundry room to get the washed laundry.

Unlike our washing machines, Chris’ model was a bit old so it didn’t have a built-in dryer. Noticing the clips and basket in the corner of the room, I picked it up and placed the wet laundry inside the basket before heading to the backyard to hang them up.

As I hung up the laundry (aka the missing bedsheets and pillowcases), I couldn’t help but notice the scent of Apollo’s cooking slowly leaking in the air. A couple of neighborhood children who passed by the house as they were playing made good comments about the smell, giggling as they skipped away and wondered what their mom had prepared for lunch. A pair of old couples who were walking past the house waved at me eagerly with wide smiles on their faces. I happily waved back and watched them disappear into a corner as I hung up the last piece of laundry.