Mitsuri x Reader

The nightmares had started again. Always the same and yet I could never get used to them. Her empty eyes unnerved me every time even when I expected the tragedy to unfold. It was watching her die every night that broke me in a way I never was before.

Her beautiful body wasn't meant to be mangled so why was she always contorted in gruesome ways? Her pale skin clashes with the color red so then why was she always drenched in blood? A million dreams it seems but why did all the outcomes have to be the same? Was it fate, destiny or simply the mind workings of an anxious lover?

It was sickening in the way a disease will slowly destroy a body. These constant dreams of pain were slowly poisoning my mind, picking it apart night by night. She still wasn't home and would she ever be again?

I shot up in bed knowing that sleep wasn't an option tonight as it wasn't an option last night either. I'd rather die than watch her never ending murder play in my mind's theater. The show mustn't go on if there is no change in the script, I refuse.

Numbly, I swung my legs out of bed, my aching feet carrying me across the empty threshold to the door. I merely pushed before I was bathed in moonlight, a chill washing over me and across my bare chest.  I drank the starlit air, tenderly sipping the wine of the night. The shadows rose in the garden like old friends standing to welcome me back to their embrace. Flowers of multiple shades of moonlight shivered lightly, tittering out secrets one could only dream about, if you weren't me of course.

I raised my head upward towards the supposed heavens as I fell to my knees. It was selfish of me to only pray in distress but I've run out of ideas and so I turned to the gods. May their immortal hearts beat to the rhythm of my sorrow and grant me my love's well-being. If I could see her again, to hold her and kiss her then I would be content. The world could end, the stars imploding way above and I would merely smile and hold tight to her basking in the eternity we would share.

My head lowered at the foolishness of my request. The immortals had millions of other devotees to care for, most of them being of more faith than I.

And then the familiar tears ran their course, sliding down my face with the feeling of a comforting hand. My tears strayed from their usual course though, a new path being paved as the feeling of the hand solidified, wrapping gently under my chin as a finger dragged my weeping sorrow away.

In a daze, my eyes lifted, beholding all of life's beauty and all its tragedy. A hand to hold after a death. A fire after a blizzard. A sunrise after a night of numbing darkness.

"Mitsuri?" The rasp of my voice would've shocked me if I wasn't blinded by my sunrise. And there she was, kneeling along with me, hand holding my face and most definitely alive. No blood, no mutilations, no death. She looked absolutely luminous wrapped in moonlight, a true goddess of my world. Her other hand held my naked shoulder, steadying me from the ache of missing her.

"Please," I begged as if pleading for my life. "Say it." I wouldn't allow myself the misery of a hallucination of my mind, a mirage in my desert of pain. The lines of her face softened, her pale emerald eyes beholding me in all my tragic glory.

She leaned in as my body trembled, still half doubting her gracing presence. I must've been half mad but in a world full of demons and death can you truly blame me? In a world full of an array of evils, the one true light of humanity has found me and when a goddess appears on your doorstep, you have little choice than to pray to her.

Her face was close, my eyes already lulled shut as if by her command. The ghostly feeling of her lips electrified me, not as if struck by lightning which only lasts a painful second but as if drowning in glacial water, completely surrounded and helpless to fight it.

She pulled away too soon. The rest of time would've been too soon. But then her words. The words that rooted me back to this world and opened my eyes after what felt like a century of slumber. The very words I daydreamed about to combat the endless destructive nightmares. Her lips rested by my ear, her breath grazing my skin. "I'm home."