GD: Volume II | Part Four

Warning(s):
Explicit language

My hand grasps a hold of his as he helps me out of the car, shutting the door behind us and clearing his throat as we approach the overlook of the bright city.

"So, this was the big surprise?" I ask him in a teasing tone, smiling, and he shrugs.

"We haven't been up here together since that time I was trying to get in your pants a third time and you weren't giving me the time of day...I figured what better time than to revisit it." He chuckles, given our circumstance, and I push at his shoulder.

"I wouldn't give you the time of day back then because you were Devil-Spawn." I retort.

"No, you were a prude and were trying to repent, or whatever it was." He replies, and I open my mouth to argue, but I can't because it's true.

"Well, we got married so it doesn't matter, now." I suppose. "And you're not gonna have me bent over the hood of the car this time, so toss out whatever agenda you have." I add, laughing.

"If anyone's trying to get on the other, it's you." He furrows his brows.

"Oh, really, how so?"

"'Why won't you kiss me?'"

"That was an actual question." I say. "And I shouldn't get punished just because you can't control yourself."

"I'm not punishing you. I'm trying to be respectful since I really wasn't when we dated the first time." He brushes off my comment with a sincerity in my voice, and I look at him.

"You were respectful." I assure him and his eyes bug.

"Vivian, I was an asshole, are you serious?" He questions, and I try to think back to when we first started dating, and can't think of any time in particular that he was a blatant asshole to me.

All of that started when he got into smack once we married.

Maybe I was just that blinded by my obsession with him.

"Well...I was a prude bitch for awhile when we got together, so..." I try to make him feel better.

"...Yeah, you were just a little bit." He agrees with a grin before I'm asking:

"What do you think it was that attracted us to each other? Aside from the obvious sex-crazed bad boy and sexually supressed goody-goody bullshit." I ask, waiting for his response, and he thinks for a second before starting.

"I wanted you and felt like I couldn't have you, and I don't like wanting something and being told it can't happen because of something dumb like you being like Tommy's second sister and loving the Lord." I can tell he resists the urge to roll his eyes at the latter, but he manages to say it with a semi-straight face. "But then I realized we had more in common than I thought but still had enough not in common that it wasn't completely boring and monotonous." He explains. "What about you?"

"I was bored and you were fun." I reply, jokingly, before saying, "You were cute, and got me out of my bubble, and you were my first big decision I made for myself that didn't have any dictation on whether my mom would approve or not – you helped me not give a fuck about that stuff." I add, seriously.

"Have you even talked to your mom since you had Monroe?" He asks next, curiously, and I take in a breath and exhale.

"No, screw her." I say it as tough as I can but I feel my throat twitch with the uncomfortable lump that forms just thinking about her. "I don't really care as long as she's nice to my son, and Dad says she's, like, head over heels for him...so..." I shrug, reaching down to wipe a smudge of dust from the strap of my heel. "At least she's finally proud of something I had a hand in doing."