Chapter 43.1

Chapter 43 – Part 1

Neigh, neigh, neighh, neighhh—!

A large, ferocious steed of Actilus' pride raised its forelegs menacingly. The paladin, who proposed the jousting match, was rather overwhelmed by the momentum. Even though he tried not to show it, he could not hide his pale face.

As the powerful horse abruptly jumped up and down in excitement, the leader of the Knights of Actilus pulled the reins with a smile, confident that he had won the battle.

The match began in an atmosphere that was unbelievably intense for the purpose of friendship.

Raniero Actilus was sitting in a very good seat with the best view of everything. In fact, it was quite unusual for him to sit there.

Usually, when this happens, he is clad in his armor and picks up his weapon before anyone else. Even if three or five well-trained men attacked him, he was able to handle it with ease. Raniero enjoyed overpowering opponents in unfavorable conditions.

The same was true of the people who followed him. The victory was proof that God Actilla blessed them. There was no reason not to be excited.

However, Raniero has decided to be in the spectator's position today.

The seat next to him was empty.

A long tall spear was swung with tremendous force as the horses were excited by the sharply pulled reins and went wild.

The Temple of Tunia's paladin would have used organized tactics in a much calmer environment than this. The horse and the rider managed to hold onto their trust in each other, but they seemed embarrassed by the unfamiliar situation.

As long as Actilus had the atmosphere, it was safe to say that victory was also held in their direction.

Although the crowd was small, the shouts were more vociferous than ever.

Shouts, cries, and swear words enveloped with the sound of metal clashing. In addition, the sound of a heavy and sharp thing cutting through the air as the sound of horseshoes stomping as if it would split the ground and dust resonated.

All of those were usually the things that made Raniero's blood boil.

When he was shrouded with such things, he was more beautiful than ever, seething with passion. His red eyes glow with a deafening flame and scattered light. But today, for some reason, a cold feeling of something did not heighten even by his favorite things.

"Keuuk!"

One paladin fell off the horse. He hurriedly rolled on the floor so as to avoid being trampled on by the horseshoes.

The audience rallied and stomped their feet in unison.

"Step on him! Step on him! Step on him! Step on him!"

Amid the heat of excitement heating up everywhere, Raniero only glanced away from the arena with an expressionless expression.

He suddenly rose from his seat.

A few who were seated around were bewildered by the Emperor, who was acting very differently than usual. Regardless, Raniero did not care about their feelings. He left without ever looking back at the arena.

As the violent sparring scene grew farther away, his surroundings became quiet.

Without hesitation, he headed to the Empress's Palace. Raniero was well aware of the cracks that had made him unable to concentrate on the spar. The moment he entered the Empress's Palace, his heart was twisted a little more.

...It was too quiet.

He strode up the stairs.

Without knocking, he opened the common room where Angelica used to spend her daytime. Though no one was there. At that moment, something unpleasant rose through the cracks caused by Angelica.

Raniero slammed the door.

A terrible noise followed.

At the sound, Angelica's handmaiden, whom she had brought from the Unro Kingdom, ran out in amazement. The handmaiden gazed at Raniero's face and became contemplative.

"Your Majesty...!"

Raniero approached the maid without a word. Putting his hands behind him, he then lowered his head. A cold sweat began to form on the forehead of the handmaiden, who quickly bowed her head. A long smile hung on his lips.

"Do you think you'll be in trouble if I come?"

The maid held her breath in terror.

Raniero did not ask where the other maids were or to bring his wife. He was only scouring the Empress's Palace with his own feet. After opening up all the tiny utility rooms where the servants kept the cleaning supplies, he opened his mouth mellowly.

"My wife, who was sick, seems to have disappeared?"

"Your Majesty, that's..."

"Shut up."

Raniero's smile grew brighter.

"I've never allowed you to open your mouth. I'll listen to the wife for excuses."

...A certain paladin sat out from the sparring.

Also, Angelica, who avoided the seat next to him by making the excuse that she was sick, was not in the palace either.

Raniero laughed out loud.

It was as if a swarm of ants had entered his head and set off small firecrackers. It was very annoying. He wanted to grab them one by one and crush them under his fingernails to kill them.