Chapter 1: The Job Hunting

All rights reserved ©2015 by MsDreamerGirl84

"At the end of the day, we must go forward with hope and not backward by fear and division." - Jesse Jackson

Clara Bell Bennet's POV 

Downtown Manhattan, New York

NYA Headquarters

"Please pray tell me, sir. You're joking right?" I choked as I slumped my shoulders, crestfallen. 

I can't believe I'm losing the only decent job I'm lucky to land on and of course with the help of my friend Enna, but Enna resigned a year ago. She used to be the Purser or In-flight service manager, that's how I got in this job, six years ago. 

"I'm sorry, Clara Bell. I can't do anything, as well. I just got a message from the top that you are no longer required," Mr. Johnson explained as he shot me with sympathy. "Here's your last pay check." As he stretched his hand with the white rectangular envelope. "I had argued with the HR Department as to why you are fired, but they connected me to the CEO itself and I had no power to defy or even argue with him. I hope you understand my place," he elaborated further, sighing momentarily. 

He handed me a white rectangular envelope which I believe had a cheque in it. I took it with a heavy heart. I have come to love this job and although it doesn't pay much, at least, I get to see a lot of places for free. I don't understand why I was fired. I thought I was doing fine. Four months ago, I was awarded as one of the best cabin crew of the year. 

What happened? 

I heaved a frustrated sigh. "May I know the reason why I was fired, sir?" I asked politely, frustration too clear in my voice. 

The thought of firing me without a valid reason is inequitable. I don't remember violating any of their protocols. Well, except this last flight with that brute. And that was a month ago. And it wasn't a major one? We landed safe and sound. So what would it be? I've been a cabin crew for six fucking long years.

"Do you by any chance did something to Mr. Rafael Valiente that made him upset?" Mr. Johnson asked cautiously, tapping his pen on the table while weighing me up. My eyes snapped back up to him, blinking twice if I heard it right.

Rafael Valiente? The Zeus, I mean conceited pig!

"None, that I remember, sir, as far as I know, he was entertained," I recalled as I mentally cursing that selfish son of a bitch. 

"Then you need to talk to Mr. Valiente itself, Clara," he advised still watching me. "And oh ... Before I forget, he wanted you to have this. If you want your job back, I advise you to see him," he admonished and smiled mischievously. 

Mr. Johnson handed me a small rectangular black business card just like a "suit and tie". Just by the looks of the card, it screams class and luxury.

I scanned the elegant looking card, a big bold letter in gold ink that says, Valiente Shipping Conglomerate. I flipped the card and on the back, I saw his name in a gold ink, with his numbers below his name and email account. His private number was also written with a pen and I'm pretty sure he intentionally jotted it down for me.

That cretin! I don't care if he's a shipping magnate. I'm not going to see him and beg for this job. I'm sure I can find something else, better than this one. I comforted myself, but I knew it was hopeless.

I'm still hoping, though. 

Even when chances are; when pigs got wings.

I got this job because of Enna's connection. And now she can't help me since she's not working here anymore. And, I don't want to rely on her either. She has done so much for me.