Jack-in-the-box

I hear a crash in the hallway. Instead of walking at a leisurely pace, I sprint. Surprisingly, I'm faster than the bitch with the super soldyer serum.

I turn the hallway and see Thanos run out a doorway. I reach into my back pocket and pull out a mask. I put it on knowing this is going to go outside. I pull out my knife, somehow still sprinting after him, and Steve goes in a random doorway.

Running through the tower I can't get a clear shot on him so as of know it's a dead-end chase.

We go around corner and down stair after stair. Steve meets up with me eventually with his shield.

"I told Bucky, he should be chasing too," he informs me.

I try to respond but it comes out just a pant. Godam I suck at running.

"Go. Chase. Him. Down. To. Lobby," I manage to make out.

"Got it," Steve responds speeding ahead. I immediately stop, conveniently by an elevator, and make my way down.

People look at me in concern, again. I don't know if it's because of my very audible being of out of breath or the fact that I have a knife in my hand and a mask on. Maybe one or the other, maybe both.

Bucky comes down after a bit.

"Try to stop him," he tells me.

"No, duh. I was going to let him go," I remark.

"Well given you're current physical state, you might," he rolls his eyes.

"Hey, rude!" I act offended.

He motions to his machine gun. "I'll be on top of the next building over."

"Okay, don't go for the head or neck. Just knocks em out," I inform him.

He nods, walking out the building and jumping on top of the next one.

More people are looking at me. New game. Is it because I just casually talked to the Winter Soldier, or casually insulted him, or we just talked about murdering a dude? Place your votes.

After a bit, Steve comes down chasing Thanos, ricocheting his shield of the walls. It hits him in the back and he stumbles a bit. I take the opportunity and toss my knife in his chest but he keeps going.

Steve looks at me. "God fucking damnit, I liked that knife. I needa get Juni to make me a new one," I curse.

We hear gunshots outside. He moves to protect me. Aw, that's cute. He quickly make eye contact with me and I mouth, "Bucky." He nods in understanding.

"I don't think he got him," I shrug.

"He has to," Steve looks determined.

"Imma check," I say, taking a step outside and seeing a blur of purple.

"FUCKIN HELL," I shout, causing more than a few people to look. Weird, I thought we were in New York. Oh well, I start running after him.

Bucky and Steve catch up rather quick, but I lost him. We stopped in front of a Jack-in-the-box.

"Food? And meet people?" I suggest.

"Sure," Steve shrugs and Buck follows him in.

You
Everybody with superpowers
And Clint
(No, not you, Juni and Wilbur)
The rest of you come
jack-in-the-box, fourth street
NOW

They arrive within 10 minutes, all looking confused.

"So Thanos escaped," I sum up. "Anyone want food?"

We all eat some Jack-in-the-box and the strangers next to us look in awe.