Science experiment

Alex's pov age 14

"You set her hair on FIRE?!" Ryley yelled, walking into the principal's office. I hung my head, stupid.

"Mr. Barley, thank you for coming in on such short notice. As you can see, we have a problem." Mr. Brown said, looking at me harshly.

"Yes sir we definitely do. And I am livid." Ryley growled. I sat there awkwardly, both adults glaring at me in silence. I can practically feel the anger coming off of them in waves, crashing onto me. I shrugged my jacket off, it was hot. Wether it be from the air conditioner cutting off or my nerves, I couldn't tell. "Do you even feel bad for what you did?" Mr. Brown asked. "Of course sir." I mumbled into my lap. And I do, truly, feel awful. "Is she alright?" Ryley asked behind me. "Thankfully. Yes she's fine." Mr. Brown answered. "Is she still in that classroom?" Ryley questions. "Yes, why?" Brown counters. "I'd like to drag his butt there to apologize to her and his teacher if that is alright with you, Sir." Ryley said sternly, gripping my shoulder. I knew better than to say anything but I felt my face heat up with humiliation at the idea.

"I think that is a wonderful idea, Mr. Barley. They're in room 108." Brown smiles.

Ryley, quite literally drags me to the classroom. "Please don't make me do this." I whined quietly, "Its embarrassing."

"Little boy, I have yet to show you embarrassing, keep arguing with me and I'll have your ass on view for this whole class to see." Ryley scolded harshly, raising his hand to knock on the door. He held me with a gentle grip on the back of my neck, stopping me from moving. As if I'd even try anything after that.

Mrs. Hastings opens the door, looking at Ryley with a shocked expression before looking down at me. "Ma'am, if we may have a moment of your class time? I promise we won't be long. Alexander has an apology to make." He said gently, gritting his teeth at the last sentence when I tried to pull away. "Of course, come right in." She smiles and steps aside, allowing Ryley to force me through the door. "Samantha, honey." Mrs. Hastings called gently. Said girl looks up at me nervously, her hair an obvious inch shorter than before.

My face is hot, and my stomach won't stop turning. I've never been good at public speaking but seeing her looking at me like she's about to cry was enough. "Sam... I really am sorry." I said gently, feeling like I was about to cry myself. God I'm so stupid.

"Thanks Alex." She said quietly, tilting her head back down and away from the attention.

"You're not done Alexander. Apologize to your teacher too." Ryley scolds. A few snickers could be heard around the room, making me nervous again. "I'm very sorry Mrs. Hastings, it will never happen again." I apologized. "I appreciated that, Alex. But I'm sorry to say you will not be participating in anymore experiments this year. I'll have a packet for you to do instead." She informs, dully. "Yes ma'am." I nodded.

"I've never had any trouble with him before this, he's a great young man." She praises, turning to Ryley. I gave her a shy smile and keep my eyes away from my big brother. "Thank you. I'm not too sure what got into him today, but I intend to make sure it never happens again." Ryley said seriously. I felt my face pull up into a scowl at that, I can tell I'm gonna be hurting soon.

•••

After he made me apologize again we went back to the office to discuss my school punishment, I had a month of detention and I was being sent home early. Ryley took me home and immediately laid into me.

"You better have a damn good explanation for this."

"I don't. Sam didn't deserve it." I shrugged, hanging my jacket up by the door. "You're right, she didn't. So why did you do it?" He demands. I gave another shrug. "Why Alex? Give me a reason." Ryley huffs. "I don't have one." I mumbled. Ryley looks at me hard.