lvi. a world alone

chapter fifty-six
a world alone

  All her life, she's been told that everything will get better. She likes to think that it was true, she likes to lie to herself into the delusion of believing that her life isn't as fucked up as it actually was. However, the misconception she's trapped herself in only lasts for so long.

Think of it as a glass of water. If you continue filling it to the rim, the water will eventually spill. Rue Newby has had the water spilling from her cup for quite some time now, but every day the mess grows worse, and the water doesn't stop pouring. Now it's flooding the entire room, all the doors and windows are locked, and she's drowning.

At least, that's what it felt like.

Her lungs are burning, her eyes sting, and she cannot breathe. Whenever she tries to, she chokes, and her brain begins to short-circuit without air, and now she can't breathe or think. She can only watch. She can only stand there and watch the world move around her while she drowns.

She can only stand there, watching the angry tears roll down Nancy Wheeler's cheeks. Her makeup is smudged, and dark black mascara stains her pale skin. She's covered in dirt, slime and goo and her sweater clings to her skin. Her face is flushed and her eyes are haunted with betrayal.

"How could you?" Nancy's voice drops to a whisper, almost a whimper as her lips tremble in despair.

Rue stands there, unable to breathe. She feels as if she's a child again, way before she moved to Hawkins, way before she's grown attached to Ava Fluer. She is a child, a coward against the locked bedroom door of an old apartment, banging her head against the wood and crying to be let out.