Chapter 8

I wake up with Alvar facing me. His expression is peaceful in sleep, and with his black hair tousled carelessly over his dark eyebrows, I forget who he is. I never noticed his thick black eyelashes or his sensual mouth with its slight curve at the corners as if he smiles in his sleep. There is a unexplainably heartbreaking kindness to his features as well as his chiseled masculine beauty.

My attention momentarily fixates on his scar.

Someone purposefully did that to him.

I shift in the bed carefully so as not to wake him and sweep the covers aside to step onto the stone floor. I tiptoe to my wardrobe to dress.

"You can just press the caller if you need anything," Alvar'ss voice makes me nearly jump out of my skin. "Leeza will come."

"Oh," I whirl around. "Did I wake you?"

"I'm a light sleeper," Alvar stretches his muscled arms above his head and yawns, the covers fall off him giving me a generous view of his bared chest and abdomen.

I willfully avert my gaze to keep a clear head.

Damn. What is it about him that draws me in like an animal in heat?

"Do you want me to leave now?" Alvar asks, the corner of his mouth twitches, he's noticed me notice him again. "We've spent our 'night' together and as far as any of the old fashioned people in Underland are concerned we are officially man and wife."

"Phew, I'm glad that's over with," I say, stifling a giggle, but I cough and add, "When will I see—see Emily?"

"You should see her very shortly," Alvar says. "I sent a direct message to Remora. She agreed and will be sending Emily by Sky Wave."

What's a Sky Wave?

"I hope she's okay," I say.

Alvar doesn't say anything, instead he throws the covers off and moves to get dressed. He picks up his shirt from the floor and shrugs it on. "Go ahead, press the caller for Leeza, it's by the door."

"We should speak again soon, Lucy," Alvar says. He loops his belt inside his pants.

"So you know how to dress yourself?" I tease. "I thought servants helped you with that."

"I know how to do a great many things, Lucy," Alvar says with a wink, his eyes glinting with a hidden message.

I involuntarily blush and press my hands to the sides of my cheeks to hide it.

"You are very innocent, aren't you?" Alvar sighs and gets a far away look in his eyes.

"By innocent you mean stupid," I accuse, I don't know why I'm taking offense.

"I didn't say stupid," Alvar corrects without retaliating. "Don't talk like that of yourself. Innocence is a gift and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Now are you going to press the button or do you want to figure out your clothing options yourself?"

"I probably could do it," I muse, glancing at the wardrobe.

"Do you know what colors to wear after a celebration like a wedding?" Alvar cocks an eyebrow. He sits on the edge of my bed and tugs on his boots.

"Where are you going?"

"I have business to attend to. I am a king, you know," he says, obviously amused by how easy it is to tease me.