Chapter 8

VIII.

I couldn't focus.

I couldn't focus on reading. This was the first time that my imaginations are not cooperating with the book. My thoughts were drifting onto something else.

"Meet me at the gym tomorrow after class."

Was he going to answer my question personally? They don't have basketball practice today so it'll just be me and him in the gym later on.

But what really made me worry is that it's just me and him. Alone with him. Alone with Akashi.

"Hey, Eri," I heard Yukari called out. She held out a sports' magazine on her hand. They didn't bother to invite me to their conversation because I wasn't into sports nor magazines.

"What is it?" Eri asked, glancing at the item in Yukari's hands.

"I just found out about Akashi-kun's favorites and hobbies in here!" Yukari whisper shouted but loud enough for me to hear.

"What?" I butted in. Yukari looked at me surprised then Eri with raised eyebrows in confusion. But I cared less about their reaction. Yukari nodded hesitantly. "Really?" I asked to be sure.

"Um, yeah. Why?" Yukari informed me, intrigued by the fact that I've joined their conversation regarding sports and magazine.

"Gimme that." I practically snatched the magazine from her hands and read the article about Seijuro Akashi.

Akashi was pretty popular because he was the captain of a group of prodigies called Generation of Miracles. And Rakuzan High was also popular among basketball championships because it defended its title of being the strongest high school.

He spends his day offs in horseback riding. He doesn't have a particular favorite memory back in middle school but he enjoys playing basketball with the rest of his team. He plays shogi to relax. That game is something he enjoys with or without an opponent. I skipped the rest of the article but something caught my eye.

He likes girls with dignity.

His favorite food is tofu soup.

I gasped. Tofu soup? And girls with dignity?

Um, do I even have a dignity?

"I never thought that you are interested in sports, Yuri," Yukari suddenly remarked, her lips curling into a teasing knowing smile. And Eri joined in.

"Or perhaps..." Eri trailed off, giving Yukari a knowing smirk which she mirrored then they threw it at me. "You're interested with the boy in the article?"

I suddenly feel my cheeks heat up, I bet tomatoes are ashamed of me now. I threw the magazine at them but Yukari successfully caught it. "O-Of course not!" The stuttering just made the accusations worse, making me feel guilty.

"Eh?" They both sang and I feel myself shrink at their intense stare. "Tsundere alert."

"Do we not know something, Yurika?" Eri asked slowly, making me nervous.

"You do not need to know anything!" I coughed, making my voice sound confident but to no avail, I failed.

Yukari giggled. "You are such a terrible liar," she grinned. And there comes the question that I least wanted to answer. "Do you like him?"

I was taken aback even though I have expected this question from them. It was true that I get these unusual feelings from him and I'm not going to enumerate them again.

But somehow I think I just admire his pulchritudinous, confident, sly and clever self. He can be cruel yet kind at the same time. He was perfect in any way without an effort exerted. I always believed that nobody was perfect until I met him.