5: In The Loop

* * *

* * *

  I glance around rapidly, the horror of my death washing over me like a tidal wave. I violently sat up in bed, disoriented, unable to understand what was happening.

  I was alive again.

  There was no more doubt in my mind. I somehow broke reality. I'm in a time loop.

  For the first time, I allowed myself to honestly think that the accidents and my deaths–both of them–were real. Could I still be dead? Could this be purgatory? Perhaps this is just what happens after death. Time folds in on itself..?

  I suppose I can't know, can I?

  Jumping from my bed, I begin hyperventilating as my alarm blares again, almost like it's taunting me. I reach for my phone, seeing the same message. "WAKE UP! SENIOR YEAR FLIGHT TODAY!!!"

  Upon seeing the message, true panic begins to flood my mind. Adrenaline rushes through me as I bolt out of my bedroom and run downstairs.

  Once on the main floor, I turn my head, looking at Elizabeth in the kitchen once again. I stare at Elizabeth before frantically glancing around, confirming this is happening.

  The world spins around me as I become dizzy. Blood rushed to my head as I stared at Elizabeth, shaking in terror. "Claire, what's wrong?" Elizabeth asked with concern as I spiraled into a full-fledged panic attack.

  I have to warn June!

  Fireworks go off in my mind as adrenaline pumps through me. I burst into action, rushing to the front door and leaping out of the apartment. Elizabeth yells for me, but I don't care. I have to save June.

  As I run out of the building, my gaze flicks left and right down the bustling city streets, looking for a taxi. Eventually, I spot one coming right down the road.

  I raise my hand, getting the taxi driver's attention. The taxi screeches to a halt in front of me. I dash inside, buckling my seatbelt extra tight for reassurance.

  "JFK airport. Now." I order the driver. The driver steps on the accelerator without hesitation, sending me on my way back to the airport.

  On the ride back, I try to comprehend everything. I know I died in the plane crash, woke up, and relived the day to die again. Why is this even happening!? Time loops are what I'd see in movies, but you never think they could become a reality.

  Let me tell you; the reality is fucking terrifying!

  Okay, I need to think this through. Since I died again... Wait... I died again? June and I avoided a one-in-a-million catastrophe, only to die in another accident. What were the odds of that?

  My gut immediately tells me that this seems more than just a coincidence. What if I was supposed to die on the plane? What if stepping off of that plane fucked up some otherworldly universal plan?