Chapter 53

Riley POV

“What’s wrong with you?” I asked my brother as we were driving to the hospital.

It’s been three days since Lucy was found, and Theo finally said we could visit her. Ethan was coming too, but he was getting there in his own car. He was out hanging with some friends, so we decided to meet in front of the hospital.

Aiden has been acting weird for the past few days. He was always lost in thought and a lot more jumpy. Something was bothering him, and I didn’t get a chance to talk to him until now. We were either with our parents or Ethan, and I didn’t want to talk to him in front of them. I knew he would open up more if we were alone.

“Nothing.” Aiden mumbled, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Aiden.” I sighed. “Come on. I know that something is wrong.”

Aiden bit his lower lip and glanced at me. “What happened with Lucy affected me a lot.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. Of course it did. She is our friend. We may not have known her for long, but she got under our skin pretty damn fast.

“Of course it did, Aiden.” I said softly. “Our friend was kidnapped. It would affect anyone. But she is safe now.”

“Not like that, Riles.” Aiden sighed. “I mean, yeah, I was worried and scared, and I couldn’t be happier that she is back and safe. But Theo and Noah’s pain terrified me even more.”

I was confused. I mean, it was hard watching them so scared and hurt, but I knew they would be okay once they found Lucy.

Aiden parked the car and turned to look at me. I didn’t even realize we were at the hospital already. I looked around and saw that Ethan’s car wasn’t here yet.

“Let’s go.” Aiden said as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

I grabbed his arm, stopping him. He gave me a confused look.

“Ethan is not here yet.” I said. “And I need you to explain what you said earlier.”

Aiden sighed, leaning his head on the headrest, and looked away from me. He looked sad, and it made my heart hurt. He is my twin. What hurts him, hurts me as well.

“I watched how devastated they were.” Aiden said. “I watched how scared and hurt they were, and I kept asking myself what I would do if something like that ever happened to me. What would I do if you got hurt? I can’t even imagine the pain, Riley. I think it would destroy me completely. I could never be brave like they were.”

I stared at him, unable to come up with anything comforting to say. He looked at me when I didn’t say anything, and the pain in his eyes almost made me whimper.

“I should be a better brother.” he continued. “I should be like Theo. I should protect you better.”

My brain finally started working and I could talk.

“Are you crazy?” I mumbled. “You are the best brother, Aiden. What happened to Lucy won’t happen to me. I am safe, Aiden. You and Ethan would never let anything happen to me.”

“You can’t know that, Riles.” Aiden sighed, looking at me worriedly. “Something could happen to you tomorrow. You could get into an accident. Or you could get sick. Or you could get kidnapped like Lucy. There are a lot of sick fuckers out there, Riles. Or you could…”

I interrupted him when I unbuckled my seatbelt and grabbed his face with my hands.

I decided to ignore his terrible predictions about my future and focus on him. He was spiraling, and I knew he needed me.