Chapter 19 - Normal Conversation

Chapter 19

We all get into our allocated cars to head towards the cemetery. The McLane’s split into two cars and I ride in Maddy’s with Mitch singing in the back.

“I’LL BE COMING ‘ROUND THE MOUNTAIN WHEN I DRINK RUM!!!!” Mitch yells at the top of her voice.

“For God’s sake Mitch! We’re going to Hailey’s mom’s grave! Think about her feelings!” Maddy groans.  

I laugh, “It’s ok Maddy. She’s good for me.”

Maddy glances at me and then looks quickly back at the road, “So… what’s the plan?”

I look out the window, “Mom always loved picnics… so that’s what we’re having.”

“Wait. Next to her grave?”

I smile, “Sure, why not? We’ll make a party of it. She wouldn’t want us to stand around being sad. She’s never liked the whole idea of crying over someone. Dad told me that she always used to say that we should be celebrating someone’s life, not crying over their death. She was a unique person…at least that’s what Claire’s told me.”

Maddy lets one of her hands go of the steering wheel and takes mine, squeezing it. I see how important this gesture is because taking one of your hands off of the steering wheel while on the road is a big no, no for Maddy, whether she’s driving or not.    

Mitch pokes her head between the seats, “Does this mean I can sing?”

*

I lie on the rug basking in the warm glow of the sun, my friends on either side of me, everyone lying in some way or other content, full of food and actually happy.

A small smile tugs at my lips as I eavesdrop (along with everyone else) on Mitch who’s talking to Wes. Turns out they went to soccer camp together when they were in middle school. Mitch later confided in me that things became slightly awkward between them when they suddenly started going to the same high school, being in different grades just made it worse. Now that there aren’t any nosy friends to judge them or anything, they’re getting along fine.

I’m so going to start a match-making business.

We’re all acting like yesterday never happened. I told Claire what had happened and she made the mistake of getting John to give an abridged version to the boys (“Hailey’s going through a rough time at the moment. No mentioning boys. Whatever you do, don’t.”) Dylan of course had to bring up the fact that they themselves were boys so it’d be a bit of a problem. That earned him a couple of smacks upside the head and after that there was no more mentioning of it.

“Oof.” I let out a gush of air as Sam jumps on top of me. “Sam.” I groan, “That hurt.”

He giggles, “Play tag with me.”

I raise an eyebrow, “In a cemetery?”

He slumps down on me, sighing like a teen, “You’re such a killjoy.”  

Mitch laughs as she turns over onto her stomach, “Where’d you learn that from bud?”

He turns his head towards her, “Duh, From school, bud.

I laugh in disbelief as Mitch gets up in shock, “Oh no he didn’t.” she grabs him throwing him down on the rug and starts to tickle him.

His shrieks get everyone up off their backs and soon we’re all a mess of arms and legs as we suddenly make up teams and go for our lives.