Chapter 6.5, Act II - Attending A Wedding.

Percy's POV

My thoughts were rushed as Annabeth and I ran through the docks of Circe's Island. Niko had told the two of us to find the Queen Anne's Revenge. Right.

It didn't take long to find it. The paint on its prow was peeled, but it was pretty clear this was the ship Niko told us about. "This is the ship?" Annabeth asked skeptically. "Yeah." She frowned. "How are we going to go anywhere? We don't have enough people, or enough time to figure this out. You told me he had a day left." She asked.

I grinned. "Niko helped teach me a thing or two about my powers, remember? It's not just water I can control." I closed my eyes, and focused. I felt the waves lapping against the hull, the ocean currents, the winds all around me. Suddenly, the ship's key word, so to speak, appeared in my mind. "Mizzenmast!" I yelled.

Annabeth yelped as ropes whirled around, snapping taut into place. Canvases unfurled, and old wooden pulleys creaked. I scanned the ship for anything wrong. I didn't feel anything. I smiled, turning to Annabeth, and spreading my arms. "Ta-da! He taught me this trick a few days after we got back from our first quest. He'd told me it might come in handy. Now, c'mon. We've got a ship to explore."

~~~

We were quickly approaching the island of the Sirens. Annabeth had me tie her to the foremast, so she could listen safely to the Siren's song. I had stuffed my ears with candle wax, and it was silent, aside from the rush of blood in my head. Annabeth gave me a look, a sarcastic nod, to let me know the improvised earplugs were a real fashion statement.

I stuck out my tongue at her, and turned back to focus on sailing.

We approached the island, and I looked back after I made sure we'd keep sailing safely through the jagged rocks jutting out from the water. For a while, Annabeth seemed fine, but the next moment, she looked puzzled. Her eyes widened. A look of excitement crossed her face for a second, before it wavered.

Then, as if nothing happened, as if she hadn't started to resist it, she started straining against the ropes. She had said something. I could tell just from reading her lips, fortunately, that it was my name. But the message in her face was clear. This was life or death for her. She needed to get out.

She seemed so miserable it was hard not to cut her free.

I forced myself to turn away. I silently urged the ship to go faster. The fog kept me from seeing much of anything, but it was more than enough for me. There were rocks, pieces of wood, fibreglass, the wreckage from old ships who sailed through here. I noted there were also floatation cushions from airplanes.

So did all the disappearing planes here find their way to the Sirens? My gut dropped at that thought. How many more people would die here? Could it be stopped?

How could music cause so many lives to veer off course? I mean, sure, there were some Top Forty songs that made me want to take a fiery nosedive, but still...What could the Sirens possibly sing about?

For one dangerous moment, I understood Annabeth's curiosity. I was tempted to take out the earplugs, just to get a taste of the song. I could feel the Sirens' voices vibrating in the timbers of the ship, pulsing along with the roar of blood in my ears.

Annabeth was pleading with me. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She strained against the ropes, as if they were holding her back from everything she cared about.