Chapter 54

Lucy POV

I came home from the hospital four days ago and everything had been going great.

Well, not everything.

I have nightmares.

Very vivid, very real nightmares. I haven’t slept through the night since I was in the hospital. Probably because they were giving me something to help me sleep there.

I wake up every hour or two, covered in sweat, breathing heavily while my heart races a mile a minute. Thankfully, Theo and Noah are heavy sleepers, and they never wake up. They probably would have if I screamed, but I haven’t done that yet.

I manage to get myself back to sleep every time, but it doesn’t last long. I probably only had a couple of hours of sleep in the last four days.

My lack of sleep is starting to show and I need to do something about it. School starts in two weeks and I want to go. If Nate says I can, of course. But I really, really want to. I want to be a normal teenager that goes to school, not the one who stays home because she was kidnapped and tortured.

So I decided to talk to Liam. I need help and I want to get it before things get even worse.

I knocked on Liam’s office door and waited for him to tell me I could come inside.

“Come in.” I heard Liam’s voice, and I opened the door slowly.

He looked up and smiled when he saw me. “Hey, love. Come, sit down. What do you need?”

Ezra was in there too, smiling brightly at me. I smiled back and sat down on the couch next to Ezra.

“Hi, honey.” Ezra said, kissing the top of my head. “Did you sleep well?”

No.

“That is kind of what I wanted to talk to you about.” I said, looking from Ezra to Liam.

They gave me a worried look. Liam stood up from his desk and came to sit next to me on the couch.

“What’s wrong, love?” Liam asked, running his hand through my hair.

“I’ve been having nightmares.” I said quietly, leaning back on the couch. “Bad ones. I can’t really sleep.”

“Oh, my little girl.” Ezra said, wrapping his arms around me. “I’m so sorry, Lucy.”

“When did it start, love?” Liam asked me.

“When I came home from the hospital.” I answered. “I didn’t have any there, but I think that is because they were giving me something to help me sleep.”

Liam and Ezra nodded.

“Well, love, we have been talking to Nate and he suggested therapy.” Liam said, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. “We wanted to wait a little bit longer to talk to you about it and to give you some time to settle in at home. But maybe you should consider it and start as soon as possible.”

I nodded and bit my lip. I knew they were going to suggest therapy. I wasn’t against it, but I didn’t know if I was ready to talk to a complete stranger about what happened.

“What are you thinking, honey?” Ezra asked, rubbing my back soothingly. “Talk to us, don’t hold it in. We are not forcing you to do anything. We will go at your pace.”

I turned to him and smiled. A warm feeling spread through my body. I have the best brothers in the world.

“I think therapy is a good idea.” I said. “But I don’t think I am ready for that yet. Maybe I need a little bit more time before I start talking about it with someone.”