41. Plane

*DOUBLE UPDATE-READ 40 FIRST*

Shit. 

Of course I love the fact that my parents want to protect Aaron. Of course I do. That's why I understand they want to fly back to Ohio along with us. 

But I need to tell Aaron something important, without anyone pressuring him or eavesdropping. And it's urgent.

So here I am, my legs bouncing up and down on the plane. Mom and Ada are seated next to me, and Aaron, Aiden and Dad D in front of us. Asher, Micah and Easton are behind us. 

"Sebastian, stop that," mom says and places her hand on my knee. It's meant as a nice act, but I just stare in her eyes and start bouncing the other one. 

Ada rolls her eyes. "Child."

I cock an eyebrow. "Sorry? Who's the older one here? Who's the most mature?" 

Mom scoffs. "You're older by one week, and Ada is the most mature for sure. Sorry not sorry," she adds, seeing my scowl. And then she just goes back to her magazine. 

It's three more hours. I know I've already sat through more, but another three hours is just too much. My mood is worsening by the second.

I lean forward and tap Aaron's shoulder in between the seats. Aiden doesn't like that and pats my hand away, but I ignore him and tap Aaron until he responds. "What?"

Oh no. He sounds tired, meaning I just woke him up. Shit, Aiden will kill me. "Can you come with me for a second? I have to talk to you."

A deep sigh sounds from him, but he listens and stands up. I'm quicker and almost run down the aisle towards the bathroom. He shrugs and walks slow, almost as if to fuck with me. 

The second he's close enough, I grab his arm and yank him in a toilet stall with me. He winces at my grip, so I immediately retreat. "Sorry for that."

He sighs again. Fortunately for me, Aaron is a person who doesn't hold grudges, so he leans in and wraps his arms around my waist. I feel my nerves die down a little as he does. "It's okay."

I tilt his chin with two of my fingers, making eye-contact. "I'm going to tell you something, and you're not going to like it. But I need you to let me speak and not freak out."

He bites his lip, nervously, but nods. I am afraid of how he will react to the fact I know his sister, but know it's not fair I'm keeping this from him.

"Your sister, Nina, is in my class. She's a first-year. And this was also the reason I brought up meeting her."

He flinches. Retreats his arms from my body to wrap around his own. "W-what is she doing here? Why is she here?"

I lift one shoulder in a half shrug. "I think she's searching you. But the campus is so wide, I don't think she'll find you anytime soon. But if you want . . ."

He swallows with effort. "But she's . . . she's sixteen . . ."

I watch as he realizes that in the time he was away, she's grown into her own person. She aged, and is now eighteen, or even nineteen, meaning she can attend college. He gasps at the realization.

"W-what if my parents came along with her? W-what if she has to bring me back? What if she hates  me for leaving? Fuck, who do I do when I see her?"

"Hey," I hush him, picking him up to my chest. He immediately wraps around me like a blanket would, all warmth and comfort. I move slightly, causing him to relax against me. "Hey. You don't have to interact with her. If you want her to stay in the past, then I'll take care of it."

He whimpers. "I don't think . . . I just don't know. What are her intentions? Maybe she doesn't know I'm going here too. Please don't tell her anything."

I shake my head. "I haven't, and I won't. Baby, who do you think I am? No. If you don't want to see her, that's your right. Just know that you have a choice."

The knowledge of that is crushing him. I can tell he doesn't want to disappoint her, but he's clearly not ready. It makes me rethink telling him but no, he does deserve to know about this. It's not in my right to keep this away.

"Can I think about it?" he whispers. I tuck him closer. "Of course you can. Take all the time you need. And if you decide you don't want to see her, know that you graduate in May. Then you're gone, yeah?"

That hadn't hit him yet, but it does now. Relief pours off him as he nods. "Right."

I'm glad I told him. He didn't take it too bad, I think. Now we're just holding on to each other, me supporting him and him clutching to me. "I'm here, baby. No one is leaving you."

He nods again. "I-I don't understand. Why is everything happening right now? You guys, Silas and Ezra getting arrested, Nina coming back . . . I'm never able to catch a break, am I?"

Oh, my poor boy. "You will be. I fucking promise you."

****

I snap awake at the feeling of a rough hand in my neck. 

It's Micah, grinning and making fun of me. "You sleep like a dead man, bro. Come on, we landed. Almost everyone has left already."

I look around, seeing that's true. So I quickly grab my bag and get out of the plane. Aaron is already waiting in the gate, along with Ada and Aiden. My parents are a bit further, buying some coffee. 

Micah takes Aaron's hand in his, just like Ada does. The boy hops in between them, energized after another nap of two hours. I swear he has to sleep fourteen hours a day, or you'll be nothing with him.

We say goodbye to our parents, promising to come by again. Mom tells Aiden something about his favorite take out place and her own promise, but it's of little importance. I'd much rather focus on Aaron's laugh. 

Micah is laughing along, while Ada is just smiling. When she sees me looking, she winks. "They're roasting Aiden. Honestly, it's entertaining."

I smile automatically at the sound of Aaron laughing again. The jokes about Aiden don't matter to me, only the fact my boy is finally smiling again. It's been too long. Even if it is just two days.

"Do you want something to eat?" Aiden is back in our group, with our parents leaving. I give them another wave, answered only by Dominic. He was the only one looking, seeing Easton is harassing mom with his lips again and Asher is making sure Dominic will trip. 

Micah and Aaron try to keep their laugh in, but lose it. Ada grins wider, and so do I. Aiden looks lost. "What did I do now?"

I give him a pat on the shoulder, shaking my head in fake sorrow. "You're a joke, man. The serious vibe is gone."

He scowls at me, and then at the two laughs men behind us. "I am not a joke. You are."

I smirk at Ada. "Now who's the child, huh?" She rolls her eyes. "Both of you."

My smirk falls, and now Aiden and me are both scowling. We walk away, getting the car so the rest doesn't have to carry them too far. 

I know the jetlag will catch up with us soon. And with a school day tomorrow already, we better get home fast and sleep it out.