032

march 28th, 2024
6:52 am

FOR ALL THOSE YEARS THAT Jalen and Noelani had been together, he had never fully understood her love and slight obsession with the ocean

When they had first started dating, Jalen had assumed that her admiration was simply a byproduct of her Polynesian heritage and a childhood where she wasn't kept under lock and key, but as he leaned against the front of his car and stared past the sunrise and onto the horizon, he was beginning to understand.

This was the same beach he had proposed to Noelani and he didn't think he could bring himself to come back, but Jalen needed to get away from surburbia for a minute. The sound of the ocean cascading itself harshly back and forth over the sand echoed throughout the still empty beach.

The Pacific ocean was only a few feet away and he had the strangest desire to take off his shoes and let the elements completely cover his feet.

Watching the waves crash against itself was almost theraputic and for the first time in a month and a half, Jalen felt some calm. He took in a deep exhale as one hand lifted his hat and the other brushed his hair back, "Whew."

In the pocket of his hoodie, Jalen's cell phone began to ring with a call. Eyebrows now scrunched in confusion, he held the object aloft for a split second before sliding his thumb against the screen, "Hello?"

"Jalen, can you drive me to school?" Jurnee whined on the other line.

"No, ask mom or pops." Jalen replied.

"C'mon," She dragged the word out, "Please? Please? Please? Plea-?"

"What's the slim chance that you'll stop asking?" Jalen asked, a little irritated now.

"Slim to none. Please?" Jurnee repeated.

"Fine," Jalen answered with an eye roll, "I'm on my way."

He ended the call before returning his gaze on the water for a few seconds before standing up completely straight and readjusting his hat.

Duty calls.

Almost twenty minutes later, Jalen pulled outside of the house that his mother, sister and stepfather were currently occupying, located closer to Malibu. The affluent neighborhood was quiet and picturesque much like his own, back in Sherman Oaks. His mother's car was noticably absent from the driveway and the porch light was still flickered on.

Jalen jammed his index finger into the doorbell, causing an almost melodic chime to emanate both outside and throughout the house. Jurnee opened the door, dressed in a typical school uniform and her hair a bit unruly for a catholic school's taste, "Give me a minute, I have to find my spray bottle."