42. Here

How late do you start?

I stare at Seb's text. We found out we start our school day at the same time, one hour later than most of the school. 

He was supposed to be at my dorm seven minutes ago to walk together, but he's not here. Anxiously, I get out of my chair and decide to walk myself. I can't be late, even if I wanted to. 

I lock my door to avoid anyone unwanted in. My body is begging for some iced coffee, what Seb would've brought with him had he been on time, but I can't turn around anymore. I've waited too long, and any breaks would make me late.

"I mean, I'm not that late, am I?" 

Relief hits me hard as I look over my shoulder and see Seb panting behind me. His smile is stunning. "Too many people in the coffee shop, and then some dude got your order wrong."

I smile and accept the cup full of delicious coffee. He kisses my cheek and wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me close as we walk to campus. "So this is where you live, hm?"

His tone is neutral. Too neutral. "It's all I can afford right now."

He frowns in displeasure. But he's smart enough to move on, immediately feeling my reluctance to talk about it. "You want to come for dinner at my place tonight?"

I give a shrug, hiding my happiness. I'd thought they would be more distant when we were back here, but they're not. Ada already called this morning to eat our breakfast together, even if it was on the other side of the screen. Micah spammed my phone the whole night and morning, telling me how he wishes I was in all his classes and his sudden desire to teach "biology". 

In other words, he wants to fuck me in front of the whole school.

"With what do you start your exciting day?" Seb asks, his lips close to my ear because of our side hug. The heat rises from my neck to my cheeks when I feel his hot breath against my skin. "Uh- Math? I think?"

He chuckles, knowing fully why I answered that way. "And you're rested enough to sit through those classes? I wouldn't mind having you nap while I teach." 

Absolutely horrified, I shake my head with wide eyes at that. No way. 

He laughs, hard. "I was only kidding, baby. Anyways, I've got to go. Six at my place, yes?"

I nod. We're not on campus yet, but I know they want to keep our relationship a secret. I'm okay with that. "Okay! Bye!"

With one last kiss on my temple, he untangles and walks in the other direction. I pull out my phone and see I have five more minutes before my class starts. Huh, I really thought I'd be late. 

Finding where I need to go, I move to the right building. I don't have to run, it's no stairs up. 

Hearing someone sprinting down the hallway, I step aside to let them through. I wouldn't like crashing along with them. 

But they slow down the closer they get to me. I frown and glance behind me, seeing it's a girl with for sure four books in her arms. One thing's for sure, and that is that she's a first year. 

"Hi! Hi, can you tell me where this classroom is, please? Hurry up! I have to be on time!" she stresses. Is she talking to me?

I feel her finger poking in my back when I don't react. "Um. That's rude, you know. I asked you something."

My spine stiffens at that voice. Now already?

I hadn't recognized her when she was calling from afar, but now? Fuck. 

Slowly, I turn around and face her. Her eyes give away she's pissed at me, but that dissolves the second she remembers me, too. I guess I haven't changed that much in three years.

"Aaron?"

"N-Nina?"

She smiles widely and throws her arms around me, leaving her books to drop to the floor. "I found you! God, you have no idea how long I've searched you! I missed you so much!"

I blink, astonished, before letting myself relax in her arms. Her scent fills my nose after all those years, and I am hit by our memories. I remember how safe I always felt around her, and how happy I was when she was with me. "I missed you too, Nina."

The reality slams into me all of a sudden. Nina is here, in my arms. After three years of being apart. How or why, I wouldn't know. But she's here. 

The only part of my family I ever truly trusted. The part who supported me, even if limited behind our parents' backs. She's always been my most favorite person of everyone on this world, until the kicking out. I never saw her again after that, and now she's here. 

"How did you find me?" I whisper, squeezing tighter. I'm not letting her go again now. Not ever again. She winks, "You'll find out."

My gaze snaps between both of her eyes. They're as blue as mine, but way more confident. "You're actually here."

She grins wider. "Of course I am! Gosh, we have so much to catch up to! Are you free tonight?"

My mouth dries, trying to find an excuse before remembering I don't have to. "I can't, I'm having dinner with my boyfriend."

It's not that I don't want to. I do want to spend time with my little sister. The only thing I'm asking before I do that is some time to get used to talking to her again. But that'll come. I've talked so much to her as a kid, I'm positive it's just readjusting.

Her eyes light up as she gasps, her whole face showing her happiness. Because I can't meet up?

"You finally got a boyfriend? Oh my God! That's so amazing! I knew you wouldn't let dad win. Gosh, Aaron, this is so incredible! I want to meet him. Like, right now! And we can—wait! I have your baby pictures in my phone, I can show them to him! He'll absolutely love that. You won't, but you've always been a grump. And then we can go build a tree house, like you always wanted! Oh! And—"

The bell rings, saving me. I forgot how much she talks. My head is exploding already. 

"I'll catch you! Gotta run!" she yells and runs away. And she's gone. She disappears in a door, where Seb heads to. He sees me and winks, but frowns when he sees me standing still. He makes his way over to me. "You alright?"

I nod, placing a fake smile on my face. "Yeah, of course. I was just wondering where my next class was."

He frowns even more. "Aaron—" "I'm fine, Sebastian. Don't be late for your lecture, yeah?"

I ignore him calling my name again as I pass through the hallway and get in my first class of the day. It's not the nicest thing I've done to him, but telling him right there would have made both of us late. 

I'll tell him tonight. I promise myself I'll tell him tonight.