Chapter 48: Sophie

Dedicated to @ImaSmartCookiee (happy late birthday!!!)

So this actually took me a little bit to write. I was feeling uninspired, BUT I saw this cute dialogue prompt about painting and I came up with this. It might not be my greatest or longest work and that is ok! This is every writers reminder that it's OK to be uninspired. It's ok to not have every chapter be amazing and perfect! I just wanted to tell everybody, please be gentle with yourself! You're not perfect, now take three deep breaths and read. Have a wonderful day everybody <3

Also, does anybody else really like Tate McRae's original songs? Lmao but fr my two favs are dear parents and dear ex best friend. If you haven't listened to them you should. Ok onto the story, ENJOY!!!

"Are you ready Sophie?"

"Uhm...can you give me like 20 minutes? I need to go look at something."

My best friend (aside from Dex) looked at me questioningly. My eyes dropped to the floor quickly to avoid her gaze before turning and walking away. I weaved through the castle hallway, checking my mental map as to how to get to the guards commonplace. I'd only been down here once or twice with Dex while exploring, and it was basically a big room where the guards rotated for their meals and rest periods. There was also a hallway that led to the soldiers quarters, but hopefully I wouldn't need to go down there. Scanning the room, my eyes ran over the features of the guards in my sight. After a few seconds, my eyes were caught by a flash of newly dyed red pigtails. Ro. I walked along the wall up behind her and ever got maybe 5 feet away before she turned and saw me. Ro's always had a kind of sixth sense for knowing where people are around her. Her head nodded up in acknowledgment.

"Blondie."

"Ro."

She turned to fully face me, waiting for me to start.

"I need you to get me into Keefe's room."

Her mouth opened, forming the start of a No, but I interrupted her with, "Please. Just for 10 minutes. I want to say..." I paused, swallowing. "I want to say goodbye."

I looked away, slightly guilty and nauseous from the taste of the lie in my mouth. Well...half lie.

Surprisingly, her eyes softened. Only a little though.

"Fine." She answered roughly. "For HunkyHair."

I started to nod before stopping and looking at her, eyebrow quirked.

An evilly yet sad smirk spread across her face. "Don't ask. It was his idea to have a bet." She shrugged and got up, walking towards the exit.

Time to go I guess.

<><><><><><><><><>time skip<><><><><><><><><>

I watched, anxious, as Ro carefully unlocked the door with her black painted clawed nails.

"Thank you." I murmured.

We walked in, slowly and quietly. I looked around at the slight mess of clothes and hair products and art supplies. I ran my hand along the carefully placed note on the table from...me?

It was the note from our first date. I pursed my lips and blinked furiously, fighting back tears. I set it back down and moved on. Ro's voice broke the dreary silence.

"Sooooo..."

I snorted out a soft laugh and slid my hand along the soft white and gold blanket on the bed.

"Did you and HunkyHair ever like make our something?"

I whipped around to face her.

"What?"

"You heard me Blondie. Or maybe you were to busy being depressy about your missing boyfriend."

My cheeks caught fire.

"That's...totally and completely inappropriate." (It's giving Poppy from FBAA to Cas lmao)

I turned back around, feeling as hot as my cheeks currently were. I walked over to the corner of the room that was being hit by beams of sunlight. What looked like...canvases...were draped with tarps to cover them. I carefully peeled back the first one. It was a horse. Silveny, to be specific. I smiled at the gorgeous painting of my horse. I unveiled the next one. It was a pair of a cold-looking blonde man and women, barely smiling, in front of an intimidating tower. Ugh, that looks like a whole lot of stairs. I took off the tarp on the next one, and sucked in a breath. I vaguely heard Ro shift behind me, but I didn't care as I saw a beautiful portrait of me and my parents.

"He painted me with my mom and dad?" I whispered.

Ro answered, surprisingly, just as soft. "He always thought you were happiest with your family. He wanted to see you happy."

I was happiest with him. I was just to scared to admit it, and now it might be to late.

I sobered up real quick and slowly revealed the last painting. Me. It was the most beautiful reimagining of me. My skin glowed, my eyes sparkled, my smile shinned. I picked it up to look at it from the side and caught a glimpse of messy handwriting. Keefe's?

Hey Foster! I guess you've either found these or I've given them to you. I don't know when that'll be, but I hope your reading this because I finally worked up the courage to give them to you. It took me a long time to figure how to paint you, because every time I tried, it just didn't remind me of you. Do you remember when you told me you could never paint as good as me? I think you paint the world with love and joy. I know you painted my world in your prettiest colors. I want you to know that even though you couldn't find my heart, I found your every time and I always will. My heart will always run straight to yours. Forever.

Love, Keefe

I wiped away at the tear running down my face. I jumped at Ro's observant voice, sniffling.

"You loved him didn't you."

I looked at her, broken. "I do."

And I knew what I had to do.