Chapter 53

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me."

Tommy's words washed over me as he read to me at my bedside, followed by others, words I had read before but never heard spoken aloud. I drifted in some state between sleeping and waking, finally aware of light beyond my eyelids, of life beyond my own mind.

Then something ice cold at the crook of my elbow, and things were dark again.

Shouting. Swearing.

Then nothing.

A hand on my own, Tommy's voice once more, reading a different book this time I didn't understand.

When my eyes finally flickered open, the world before me was a blur of mahogany. My eyelids were heavy, so heavy it physically hurt to keep them open. I became aware of thick silk sheets tucked around me. I cleared my throat — it was dry.

"Good morning."

My head turned to the voice, Tommy's voice. He was sat on an upholstered chair beside me. Eyes glittering in the rays of sun filtering through the thick window curtains. This wasn't the house in Small Heath — I didn't know whose house it was.

Everything came flooding back.

"Stay calm," he murmured, easily sensing my panic. "You made me promise I wouldn't let Ada give you any more barbiturates. I'll have no say in the matter if your heart rate goes through the roof."

I closed my eyes. Concentrated. Took deep breaths. "I never said that," I told him, my voice thick.

"The hospital nurses did warn me you might not remember things when sedated."

I opened my eyes once more. My hands flitted to my abdomen, wrapped in thick bandages. I ached.

"It's a shame," Tommy sighed. "You've been far more forthcoming with me in the past two days than in all the months we've known each other."

Oh no. My skin paled. What had I been saying?

"I've been here for two days?" I asked Tommy, wincing as I moved my arms.

"And two in the hospital before that," he answered.

Shit. "Does my father know?"

Tommy's jaw clenched. "It wasn't worth the risk."

I stared at him for a moment. "None of the Birmingham Boys know where I am? What happened?"

"They know you're recovering."

"You have to take me back." I pushed the covers off, tried to sit myself up. The movement felt like my abdominals were being ripped apart, sending spasms of pain through my body.

"Sit down, love." Tommy gently pushed me back into the bed, cradling me in his arms. His scent, so close and unexpected, shocked me enough that I complied. "I'm not having you angry with me again for letting Ada sedate you."