《 valentine's day 》

[HUMAN AU]

On the morning of February fourteenth, Sophie awoke to a dozen red roses, a glazed maple doughnut, and a string of incoming text messages.

Still half-asleep, Sophie rolled over and reached toward her bedside table. After nearly knocking over the vase of flowers, she forced herself upright. Her mouth watered at the sight of the doughnut, but she forced herself to wait. If Keefe had gone to the trouble of buying her flowers and breakfast, she was definitely sharing with him.

It was their unspoken law about Valentine's Day.

Instead of tempting herself further, Sophie diverted her attention to her iPhone. Seven text messages, each from her boyfriend, were scattered amongst her notifications.

The first was his typical good morning, although she didn't fail to notice that he'd added a little nickname on the end: sweetheart.

Butterflies thrust against her ribcage, but she forced their wings to fold inward. No way was he making her blush before the sun had even risen. Trying not to smile, Sophie delved through each message. True to his character, Keefe's messages ranged from entire paragraphs to a mere three words.

The shortest was a simple I love you.

Her favorite, however, was the one that mentioned how cute she was while she slept — and how grateful he was that she didn't snore.

Sneaking into her bedroom was a recent thing for Keefe, and Sophie still didn't know how to feel about it.

Sure, he did live right next door. And his father's household was much too stuffy for either of their taste's . . .

But it was just so new.

She'd never had a boy sleep over.

Much less a boyfriend.

Whenever they hung out, it was always in her bedroom — but night felt different, somehow.

And she hated how much she liked it.

Just as the thoughts began to overwhelm her, Sophie heard the window slide open. Her eyes flew up, past her dresser, and collided with the east wall. Keefe was climbing into her bedroom, his lips armed with a charming smile.

"Hey, you." He grinned as she struggled to get up. Boyfriend instincts intact, he crossed the room to help her out of bed. On more than one occasion he'd definitely witnessed her get tangled in the blankets.

Usually they bantered in greeting, but today Sophie couldn't help wrapping her arms around him and rising up on tiptoe for a kiss. "Hi, handsome."

Keefe smiled against her lips, automatically pleased. "Someone's in a good mood."

"Thank you. For the flowers. And the texts."

"Don't forget the doughnut."

She laughed. "I'm not going to thank you for that because I prefer chocolate, not maple."

"Ah — but maple is my favorite, and I knew you were going to share."

Giggling, Sophie kissed him again. She swore he got taller every day — but perhaps that was because her height was pitiful in comparison to his.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Foster." Keefe's words were soft as he looped an arm around her waist. His opposite hand was near her jaw, thumb grazing her skin, as he rested his forehead on hers.

Sophie murmured her thanks and accompanied it by the same sentiment. Rather than thanking her, Keefe merely pulled her into another kiss — and this one made her dizzy.

Faint sensations lolled her as he progressed.

Keefe's hand had somehow slipped behind her head and sunken into a mountain of golden waves. And then, as if in response, his hand was replaced by a wall, although she didn't remember them moving.

All Sophie could do was kiss him in return and match his passion. After all, it was one of his greatest talents.

Soon enough, though, Keefe's kisses faded into soft brushes. It didn't take more than touching a finger to her lips to determine how swollen they were.

She tried not to smile.

Almost annoyingly nonchalant, Keefe grabbed her by the waist and settled on the windowsill. Newly nestled in his lap, Sophie ran both fingers through his hair. He looked awfully handsome today. Keefe typically favored black as his wardrobe choice, however, today he'd graced her with a snug maroon sweater. His shoulders, already so big and strong, looked broader than she remembered.

Butterflies threatened to overwhelm her once more.

"You're staring," Keefe noticed.

"I'm observing," Sophie corrected.

"Nah. I know when you're swooning over me."

Fighting a laugh, Sophie shoved him.

"Careful, Foster." Warm rays of light fluttered into her room as he grabbed her once more. "You might just push me out the window."

"Serves you right."

He pressed another kiss against her lips, then shifted to her forehead. "I know you love me."

Smiling, Sophie crossed her arms. "Prove it."