ten

112 AC

112 AC

A silver film of moonlight flowed into Valaenyra's chamber through the balcony's open window, counteracting the oppressive blackness within. She chose not to light any candles since she quite liked the ambiance that the moonlight created in her space.

She was reading another book but yet her mind went elsewhere, Rhaenyra was quite pissed at her once she returned to the castle after retrieving Baelon's egg.

She was retorting that none of this would have happened if she had just complied with her uncle's wish.

The two got into some sort of heated arguments, with Rhaenyra wanting her aunt to comply with her uncle's wishes so he would stop acting ridiculously for attention and Valaenyra being spiteful since Daemon had left her.

If he could retrieve his whore to fly to Dragonstone, he could probably spend a short while saying farewell to her

But alas, she obliged her niece's request and replied to Daemon's letter, which had come the day of the entire ridiculous incident.

A letter with a simple, "Fuck off ", seemed suffice to give Daemon the message that she didn't want anything to do with him anymore.

Daemon, on the other hand, who was once ecstatic when one of his guards gave him the letter, was just disappointed by the lack of heartfelt writings in it. He needed to go back to King's Landing, one way or another. All he had to do was figure out how.

A knock startled Valaenyra from her thoughts and a Kingsguard entered her room.

"My lady, King Viserys requested your presence," he stated.

"This late at night?" Valaenyra asked.

"Yes, my lady."

Valaenyra nodded to the guard before standing up from her bed and following where the guards lead her to what seemed to be Viserys' private quarter. Once they reached his quarters, the guard knocked on his door and Viserys called them in, but only loud enough so that the both of them could hear.

The King was seated in one of the long chair, gazing wistfully at the fireplace before turning to face the newly arrived Valaenyra. The door was closed behind her by the guard, leaving just the two of them in the space.

"Ah, Valaenyra," he said.

Valaenyra could see that Viserys was tired and in a very serious mood.

"Is everything all right, Your Grace?" Valaenyra asked.

"Come sit, Valaenyra," Viserys replied, wearily. "There is something that I must discuss with you."

Valaenyra took in a deep breath to calm her nerves, this was probably the first time in six months that they had a conversation with just the two of them. Most of the time that Viserys tried to ignite a conversation with her, she would always roped Rhaenyra in or just gave excuses.

She obliged his request and took a few steps forward to sit next to Viserys who was once again staring at the fire in front of him. They sat there in silence for a moment which Valaenyra regard as very awkward until Viserys turned his head to examine her face.

"Despite the both of you being sisters, I never really see that much of a resemblance. In terms of personalities, I suppose," Viserys lamented.

Despite being nurtured by Aemma herself, Valaenyra had always been very different from her sister. She has always been the one who caused havoc in the Keep since she was a child. Hiding in between the secret passages she discovered once, making everyone scramble about in terror to find her.

"I love your sister very much, Valaenyra," Viserys started. "I regret what I did to her every single day. I missed her terribly and I could never love another woman the way I loved Aemma."

Valaenyra just nodded, wondering where this conversation would go.

"But I am a King with duties and I only have one child who is my heir. My line is vulnerable and too easily ended. Which is why I must marry again," Viserys explained. "I talked to Rhaenyra about it and she agreed and I must do my duty."

"And I want you to know that I would never taint Aemma's memory and would still love her," Viserys continued.

"I heard about it, Viserys," Valaenyra replied which Viserys looked slightly taken aback. "Lord Corlys informed me. Lady Laena wasn't it? A union between the House Valaeryon and Targaryen does seem fit as it will strengthen the bond between the last old Valyrian houses."

"Yes, Lady Laena was fit to be a queen," Viserys said hesitantly.

It was all he said after a while before staring into her eyes, or more accurately into her soul. Peering into the depths of her characters and spirit. He snapped out of it only when Valaenyra called out his name.

"But she was only 12 years old and has not even bled yet," Viserys said, looking away from Valaenyra and turning his gaze into the fire in front of him once again.

Valaenyra looked at him in confusion, "You're not going marry Laena?"

"The council brought up another candidate," Viserys said, eyes flicked to hers. "A more suitable candidate than Laena Valeryon. A fine lady who had known the court ever since she was born. She is of age and even unwed. They said that the union might even return our house into its proper glory."

She watched him carefully as she deduced what he was trying to say.

"You," he stated.

Viserys managed to shock Valaenyra into silence. She stiffened beside him in shock as she processed her thoughts. She had no intention of marrying Viserys after what she had done to Aemma. What if the same thing happened to her and Viserys was going to murder her as well?

"I won-"

"I said no," Viserys cut her off. "It wouldn't be proper to dishonor Aemma like that by marrying her sister. Valaenyra, it's not that you are not the perfect candidate; I just couldn't. You wouldn't want to as well, and I know that."

Valaenyra sighed in relief when she heard Viserys' response. She had never found it difficult to control her emotions, especially in court, but now was an exception. She couldn't help but stare at Viserys in gratitude.

"Then who was it?" Valaenyra asked, looking at him oddly.

"I just called you here to clear up the misunderstanding of me marrying someone," Viserys prompted, swallowing the lump in her throat.

"Who was it?" Valaenyra repeated. "If they are going to be Rhaenyra stepmother I would need to know. I have to know if they are going to treat my niece kindly."

"I will announce it in the council room," Viserys said as he stood up from the chair. "Rhaenyra was aware of this, but she could still need time to take everything in. Her adored aunt's presence will be good for her right now."

He gave one last glance at Valaenyra before walking towards his sleeping chambers, signaling her that this conversation was over. Valaenyra slumped back on the chair, her mind racing as she continued to ponder on who was it.

author note
i changed the timeline to 112AC because episode 3 is three years later and is on 115AC.

don't forget to vote, and comment for more.